What a mess

Hampsong

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Just got finished cooking my first brisket on a new Traeger Pro 780 grill. During the final hour or two of the cook I noticed a sticky brown film had formed throughout the inside of the grill and into the smoker chimney. I was able to remove the film using a wet paper towel but can’t imagine that this is a normal occurrence with each cook.

Worthy to note: I did find that the foil around the brisket was not completely sealed and there was liquid draining out during the cook. Could this have caused the thick brown deposits inside the grill ?

Has anyone experienced this before and what causes it ?

Just got finished cooking my first brisket on a new Traeger Pro 780 grill. During the final hour or two of the cook I noticed a sticky brown film had formed throughout the inside of the grill and into the smoker chimney. I was able to remove the film using a wet paper towel but can’t imagine that this is a normal occurrence with each cook.

Worthy to note: I did find that the foil around the brisket was not completely sealed and there was liquid draining out during the cook. Could this have caused the thick brown deposits inside the grill ?

Has anyone experienced this before and what causes it ?
That sticky brown film is caused by grease and smoke, and actually “seasons” the pit.

your grill is new, my grill is PITCH BLACK, I ain't gonna clean it now!! (85 layers of sticky brown film)
If you didn't 'season' your grill real good then you might still have some factory oil in there that burned off...
Don't use water in your grill, you need to get some grill cleaner, either Traeger or simple green BBQ cleaner...
Otherwise maybe do another 400° burnoff for 20 minutes, that will take care of it.

Thx

cleaned the grill this morning with the Traeger cleaner. Thoroughly vacuumed the inside. When I went to light the grill it went through the ignition cycle several times until the pellets caught on fire in the fire box. The controller still indicated that the grill was trying to ignite. I put it through a shut down and let it cool. Will try again later.

Any idea why the pellets ignite to a fire yet the controller still indicates that it is trying to ignite?

Thx

cleaned the grill this morning with the Traeger cleaner. Thoroughly vacuumed the inside. When I went to light the grill it went through the ignition cycle several times until the pellets caught on fire in the fire box. The controller still indicated that the grill was trying to ignite. I put it through a shut down and let it cool. Will try again later.

Any idea why the pellets ignite to a fire yet the controller still indicates that it is trying to ignite?
Are you igniting with lid open or closed.
Ignition is a “cycle”, and that is gonna stay on the screen until that cycle completes. I’m just guessing here, but I imagine that the RTD has to sense a certain amount of heat for the cycle to complete, or it could just be a timed cycle.

When I went to light the grill it went through the ignition cycle several times until the pellets caught on fire in the fire box.

Ignition cycle is when the fan comes on and off, on and off, on and off, ... when it comes on and STAYs on, then your grill is lit and starting to climb to your set temp.

My last ignition sent a cloud of smoke I almost couldn't see anything... this happens every now and then, I have no problems leaving it to do it's thing... it finally settles down.

Thx

After vacuuming out the grill, be sure to clean carefully around the "hotrod" igniter rod at the bottom of the firepot, I use a small putty knife. The first ignition after cleaning might be slower as the firepot is completely empty. After a normal shutdown cycle, the controller spits a spoonful of fresh pellets into the pot just before it ends, to speed the next ignition.

The ignite cycle is monitored by grill Temp. This is why the newer units want you to ignite with the hood closed, so the controller can monitor the process.

The ignition cycle and temperature stabilizaction is part of my 30 min “fire it up and wait time”….

The ignition cycle and temperature stabilizaction is part of my 30 min “fire it up and wait time”….
I also usually fire my grill up 30-40 minutes before I know that I’m gonna need it.
And, I preheat it to about 25 degrees higher that the temp I’m gonna cook at, because the temp is gonna drop when I open the lid to add whatever I’m cooking.

I also usually fire my grill up 30-40 minutes before I know that I’m gonna need it.
And, I preheat it to about 25 degrees higher that the temp I’m gonna cook at, because the temp is gonna drop when I open the lid to add whatever I’m cooking.
Adding heat prior to loading is a good idea, I tried it this afternoon and it worked well…

Back