Welcome to the new Traeger Flatrock Forum!

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
Welcome to the latest addition of Traeger Forums dedicated to the upcoming Traeger Flatrock griddle.

Is anyone considering adding one to their outdoor kitchen?

No, not according to that price point. I got my Blackstone for $150 a couple years ago after Christmas. That being said, It would be cool to have!

The Menard's store near me has the CharGriller Flat Iron grill with 4 burners for $299 ($399 list). That includes a top.

The Traeger FlatRock grill has only three burners and is rumored to list for $899. I might get one of the Flat Iron grills, but I just don't see the new Traeger being worth anywhere near the asking price. If the frame were made of stainless, that might be different.

The Menard's store near me has the CharGriller Flat Iron grill with 4 burners for $299 ($399 list). That includes a top.

The Traeger FlatRock grill has only three burners and is rumored to list for $899. I might get one of the Flat Iron grills, but I just don't see the new Traeger being worth anywhere near the asking price. If the frame were made of stainless, that might be different.
Don’t know anything about either product but the logic is the same as people who eat at a crappy buffet because it’s more food. Quality is preferable to quantity. Then there is a personal equation that amounts to one’s perceived value. Price is a relative factor in perceived value. This will vary based upon life experiences and personal situation.

Personally, I don’t often go for the most expensive option but almost NEVER the cheapest. Neither of the product’s mentioned are likely at either end of the spectrum. Not sure.

Sorry for the rant.

Don’t know anything about either product but the logic is the same as people who eat at a crappy buffet because it’s more food. Quality is preferable to quantity. Then there is a personal equation that amounts to one’s perceived value. Price is a relative factor in perceived value. This will vary based upon life experiences and personal situation.

Personally, I don’t often go for the most expensive option but almost NEVER the cheapest. Neither of the product’s mentioned are likely at either end of the spectrum. Not sure.

Sorry for the rant.

I have looked at the Chargriller Flat Iron grill on several occasions as well as the Blackstones. I prefer the Flat Iron design to the Blackstone grills. There is a Youtube video that compares three of the most popular flat tops. Of course, the Traeger was not included in the comparison as it is not yet available. Each of the three had different design features. The author of the video indicated that either of the flat tops would do the job; it was a matter of preference as to which features mattered most to each purchaser. I liked the Chargriller.

I do not mind spending money when the item has features I want. I purchased the Ironwood 885 rather than one of the less expensive grills as it had features that I thought made it worth the price. I looked at the various Costco branded models as well as the standard ones. The extra features of the Timberlines were not worth the premium price to me. So far, I do not see anything that indicates to me that the Flat Rock is good enough to warrant 3X the price of the Flat Iron. Once I can examine the Flat Rock, I might change my mind.

My philosophy is generally to purchase items that are just below premium quality. If you want top of the line, you pay a lot extra for a minor improvement in performance. However, if you scrimp on features to save a few dollars, the device is likely to become obsolete sooner.

I have looked at the Chargriller Flat Iron grill on several occasions as well as the Blackstones. I prefer the Flat Iron design to the Blackstone grills. There is a Youtube video that compares three of the most popular flat tops. Of course, the Traeger was not included in the comparison as it is not yet available. Each of the three had different design features. The author of the video indicated that either of the flat tops would do the job; it was a matter of preference as to which features mattered most to each purchaser. I liked the Chargriller.

I do not mind spending money when the item has features I want. I purchased the Ironwood 885 rather than one of the less expensive grills as it had features that I thought made it worth the price. I looked at the various Costco branded models as well as the standard ones. The extra features of the Timberlines were not worth the premium price to me. So far, I do not see anything that indicates to me that the Flat Rock is good enough to warrant 3X the price of the Flat Iron. Once I can examine the Flat Rock, I might change my mind.

My philosophy is generally to purchase items that are just below premium quality. If you want top of the line, you pay a lot extra for a minor improvement in performance. However, if you scrimp on features to save a few dollars, the device is likely to become obsolete sooner.
The Flatrock or any of the popular brands are by no means premium quality. 😁 that’s something like an EVO or equivalent. 😁

They all will cook to some degree. Wind mitigation is a key factor in these things.

The Flatrock or any of the popular brands are by no means premium quality. 😁 that’s something like an EVO or equivalent. 😁

They all will cook to some degree. Wind mitigation is a key factor in these things.

I understand, but an EVO grill can cost as much as $10,000. If I were cooking professionally, that might be on my short list. However, as a homeowner who might use a flat top grill a dozen times a year cooking for my wife and I, a $10,000 grill or even a $5000 grill is not even on the fringes of my radar screen. That is not the market that Blackstone, Chargriller, or Traeger is trying to capture.

I understand, but an EVO grill can cost as much as $10,000. If I were cooking professionally, that might be on my short list. However, as a homeowner who might use a flat top grill a dozen times a year cooking for my wife and I, a $10,000 grill or even a $5000 grill is not even on the fringes of my radar screen. That is not the market that Blackstone, Chargriller, or Traeger is trying to capture.
Agreed. None of them are premium quality. Consumer grade. Some better than others. Happy shopping!

Back