Used Traeger won't hold low temps, any ideas?

PortlandMike

Reaction score
Grill
Lil Texas Bronze
Hi all,

Just got a used Lil Texas Bronze from an acquaintance. He told me it works, but won't hold temps lower than 250. I've used it a few times, and that seems about right, if set to 180 or 225 it still ends up somewhere between 250 and 270. Any advice on what to replace? I thought I'd get a new control panel, but would love to fix the part that's the actual problem instead of just replacing stuff willy nilly.

It's my first pellet smoker, so I'm new to these machines. Thanks!

Hi all,

Just got a used Lil Texas Bronze from an acquaintance. He told me it works, but won't hold temps lower than 250. I've used it a few times, and that seems about right, if set to 180 or 225 it still ends up somewhere between 250 and 270. Any advice on what to replace? I thought I'd get a new control panel, but would love to fix the part that's the actual problem instead of just replacing stuff willy nilly.

My Silverton 620 does the same thing when using pellets known to burn hotter.
Try a cooler burning pellet type. For example Pecan, Alder and Apple.

Also, are you measuring temps using the built-in Traeger thermometer. They are known to be inaccurate. For example, on my Ironwood, the Traeger thermometer reads about 20F high at 200F and about 50F high at 400F. Thus, your 250F might well be 225F.

I was using apple pellets, so sounds like that probably wasn't the source - although I had no idea different pellets burned at different temps, so that's a good tip.

The temperature measure I was using was from the Traeger thermometer, so sounds like I should get a more accurate measure and reassess. I will say that it seemed like it was actually at 250 or so based on the cook times. Also, when set to just "smoke" it was hanging out at about 170.

Hi all,

I feel your pain. My Traeger 575 ignites and races to max temp and will not go to the cooking temperature I set. I’ve cleaned the temp probe as well as the entire grill but it is garbage. I’d go get something else that’s halfway reliable. Sorry to say.

I feel your pain. My Traeger 575 ignites and races to max temp and will not go to the cooking temperature I set. I’ve cleaned the temp probe as well as the entire grill but it is garbage. I’d go get something else that’s halfway reliable. Sorry to say.
Instead of trying to learn what's wrong, or what you might be doing wrong?

How long have you had your grill?

Have you considered that you might need to replace the temp probe? They can and do go bad. The probe are inexpensive and are considered a user replaceable part. If your grill is still under warranty, Traeger will ship you a new one.

How long have you had your grill?

Have you considered that you might need to replace the temp probe? They can and do go bad. The probe are inexpensive and are considered a user replaceable part. If your grill is still under warranty, Traeger will ship you a new one.
1 1/2 years and I’ve only been able to use it a dozen times. I’m very frustrated because it costs so much to buy. I should have to wrench on something this new. I might gut it and turn it into a charcoal grill, something I can rely on.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend ANYONE but this type of grill.

Back