Tragers Made In The USA

FieldMedic

Media
Reaction score
Grill
BBQ 070
Is there any “tell-tale” signs that an individual can use to discern (from a picture of the pellet grill) that a certain Traeger is an older USA made model? I’ve heard that bolts... or the lack thereof where the legs attach is one method... Is there any others .?? other that lifting the lid covering the pellet hopper and hopefully finding the printed sheet that shows info on that particular smoker? Unfortunately on the older models the paper reference material is usually gone. TIA

Quick summary, Treager family sold out in 2006. Buyer was venture capitalist from Florida. Manufactured in Oregon until 2010, the 2010 units were made in China, Sold again to Trilantic Capital Partners, which moved it offices to Utah. Long story short, any grills produced after 2009 were made in China.
How to tell them apart is a challenge since the early Chinese made units basically used the same parts as the original ones. What you would need is an original bill of sale or the warranty paperwork. Traeger does not as far as I know list a place of manufacture on any of the stickers affixed to the grill. I haven't had to pull the controller out of mine, so I don't know if there might be a date stamp on some of the components.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Maybe another member has a better answer.

@Like Smoke
Thank You for your response! That’s a plethora of info/dates that I didn’t know. Really appreciate it...

It is likely that any grill made prior to 2009 would have rusted away by now unless kept in a garage and seldom used.

If you are intent on purchasing a US made pellet grill, take a look at Weber Smokefire grills. The first generation had some issues, but they have been fixed in the current 2nd generations ones. Widely available at places like Lowe's and Home Depot.

I have a BBQ070 that is from 2005 (17yrs) and has always been covered outside. It is American made and is my workhorse. There are signs of some surface rust and had to replace the firepot once (that was totally rusted and full of holes). Also had a Pro Series 34 that I won in a raffle that was made in China and did not like and gave it away to a friend for nothing. Replaced the Pro with a Yoder YS640 and that thing is a beast. Expensive but build quality is night and day compared to Traeger. Best of luck in your quest.

https://www.pelheat.com/pellet-grill-smoker-brands.html

Informative link above as he reviews all pellet smokers and where they are made. There is also a link in there regarding pellets where they are made and from what.

Forgot about this post... wanted to update .. I lucked into a Traeger Lil Tex 070. Purchased from the original owner... This thing is built like a tank esp compared to other pellet smokers it’s size... I’m not sure on build date so it might be post 2009.
@Like Smoke heres some pics! I appreciate the info/education you provided ! Thanks Again!

59C471EE-4E1B-4823-A967-3C25458403BC.jpeg
5E5D0FA9-37B8-422C-BF91-6C4F962A30D9.jpeg
00B098A0-185E-4D0A-A438-9E08962C85DE.jpeg

Back