Traeger Scout wild temp swings

dmlappert

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
So let me start off by stating that I own a Timberline 1300, and love it. Been using for 2-years.

Decided to pick-up a second Traeger for travel, tailgating, etc. Happened to hear about pellets on sale at Costco, so stopped by, and ended up purchasing a Scout. It has been a major headache. Even after following all start-up directions, and setting the cook to 275, temp rose to 355. Turned the temp down to 250 in the hopes of dropping to a reasonable temp, but it actually plunged to 208, then back up to the 300s. Tried cooking a second time. Same results. Worked with some friendly, professional CS reps, who walked me through possible fix. But the fix (reprogramming from P2 to P4), did absolutely nothing to fix the issue.

Should I dump the grill, bring it back to Costco, and wipe my hands of the Scout, or is there a fix?

Anyone experience same?

Attachments

• 20210517_162825.jpg
    20210517_162825.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 122
I returned mine when I read about so many catching fire, and then they recalled them. I went and got a GMG Davy Crockett.

Great deal on them at Target right now.

Hoping 1st to find a solution to the Scout issue. Should Traeger not come through with a fix... your recommendation is something I'd consider. Thanks.

Love my Ranger. My only complaint is that it needs leveling feet. Wood shims do work.

Well my Traeger negatives continue. Brought home the Ranger this morning. Got to initial fire-up. Was looking forward to the completed seasoning process, so I could smoke a chicken today.. Not to be. Set Ranger to 450° per instructions. Pushed Ignite. About 1 - 2 minutes in, the unit begins smoking, temp rising, looking good, then the controller died. Called Traeger and they are replacing the Ranger. Will take 2 weeks. Unhappy.

Newest update. Traeger had me return the defective Ranger and sent me one from the newest batch. Initial firing/seasoning flawless. Decided to run it again today. Set to 225°. Took 10 minutes to get to temp and holding within 5° - 7°. So I believe all is well. Will do 1st cook tomorrow. Traeger came through with great customer service! I applaud their team.

Back