Traeger Modifire Reversible Cast Iron Griddle?

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
I'm really curious on how well the Traeger Modifire Reversible Cast Iron Griddle would work with the new Timberline XL or Ironwood Xl. Anyone try this combo out yet?

That’s pretty expensive for that size piece

I’m a fan of anything enamel cast iron. No comment on the price.

Well, I already have one exactly like Traegers, not "modifire" but cast iron enough for me.

cast iron is great but enamel cast iron is awesome. It’s like the difference between a lodge Dutch oven and a Le Creuset. Apples and Oranges.

cast iron is great but enamel cast iron is awesome. It’s like the difference between a lodge Dutch oven and a Le Creuset. Apples and Oranges.
Exactly, I agree.

It may be worth it....just not for me. Different stroke and all that.

Bath tubs and sinks used to be made of cast iron coated with enamel/porcelain. The cast iron is nearly indestructible. On the other hand, the enamel tends to chip and crack if exposed to mechanical shock.

The advantage of porcelain enamel coated cast iron cookware is that it never needs to be seasoned like plain cast iron or carbon steel. The disadvantage is that you need to be careful to protect the enameled cookware during use and storage to prevent chipping.
With a reversible griddle, the side with the ridges is going to be the one more likely to be damaged.

Cast iron and carbon steel cookware tend to improve in their non-stick characteristics over time as they are used and the layers of polymers build on the surface. Enameled cookware might have better non-stick tendencies initially, but it will never get any better. Black enamel is OK, but avoid white enamel as it will take a lot of scrubbing to keep it looking new. I used to have a white enamel skillet that I eventually discarded as I could not keep it clean.

Thus, whether you want the more expensive enameled cast iron or the less expensive seasoned cast iron/carbon steel is a matter of preference. Either can get the job done.

Just a few things.
The enamel process with regards to cookware and cooking grates is basically foolproof these days. 20 years ago, that was not the case.
A product called “barkeepers friend” will make any cast enamel piece look brand new in a minute with almost zero effort.
My love for the enamel is not as much about non stick properties, that is nice, but rather ease of care and lack of maintenance required. It’s just like cruise control for your cookware.

My main consideration in getting the new Ironwood XL, along with this accessory, is whether it can handle small cooking tasks when a griddle is preferred. Additionally, I wanted something that could be kept in the grill all the time, unless the rack/grill is needed for a cook.

My main consideration in getting the new Ironwood XL, along with this accessory, is whether it can handle small cooking tasks when a griddle is preferred. Additionally, I wanted something that could be kept in the grill all the time, unless the rack/grill is needed for a cook.
I have no way of knowing exactly what you have in mind but I don’t see why not. I would think one would want to clean it after each use for sanitary reasons, but it could live in the grill I would think. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just a few things.
The enamel process with regards to cookware and cooking grates is basically foolproof these days. 20 years ago, that was not the case.
A product called “barkeepers friend” will make any cast enamel piece look brand new in a minute with almost zero effort.
My love for the enamel is not as much about non stick properties, that is nice, but rather ease of care and lack of maintenance required. It’s just like cruise control for your cookware.
and using a wood spatula to scrape off any hard stuff.

I'm really curious on how well the Traeger Modifire Reversible Cast Iron Griddle would work with the new Timberline XL or Ironwood Xl. Anyone try this combo out yet?

Had an original Lodge version of that in my T 1300 for a while and it was never better than the griddlemaster insert in my gasser grill. Gave it away to my fatherinlaw. I do keep a ci skillet on the top rack for every cook just in case but rarely use it.

I just got this ModiFIRE Reversible Cast Iron Griddle yesterday. I also just got a new Ironwood XL this week. I haven't cooked on either it yet. Is the griddle really enameled cast iron? The surface is much rougher than any enameled cast iron surface I have seen, but I don't have much cast iron experience. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

I have the Modifire version for the skillet. It is very durabe and cleans up easy. There enamel counting is outstanding!

Back