Traeger meat probe temp not accurate

Paul R

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Today when smoking 2 pork shoulders of equal weight on my Timberline 850 discovered that the Traeger meat probe is 6F higher than actual. Had a Thermoworks type K probe in one shoulder and the Traeger probe in the other. When one piece reached 203F on the Traeger probe, the other with the Thermoworks in it was around 196F. Wasn’t too concerned at first as meat cooks will differ. So, put the Traeger probe in the same hole in the meat where the Thermoworks probe was and it read 6F higher. So, decided to do a bit of testing. Recalibrated the Traeger probe in ice water with the Thermoworks probe next to it and both read 32F. Put the Traeger and Thermoworks probes in a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes and the Thermoworks probe measured 212F and the Traeger probe read 218F. Chatted with Thermoworks and after lengthy discussion was advised that there is nothing wrong with the probe. Even sent images of temp probe measurements to Traeger. Traeger provided me with the specs which indicate that the meat probe could have an inaccuracy of up to 7.5F. I don’t know about what everyone else thinks, but it is unacceptable for a probe to have that much of an inaccuracy allowance especially on an $1800 smoker. 6F inaccuracy on a probe for a pork shoulder could be a difference in 1-2 hours of cooking. Bottom line, no longer relying on the Traeger meat probes. Don’t trust the Traeger probe!

Attachments

• 68C4E353-C907-45AA-8AB9-D2BB4248B061.png
    68C4E353-C907-45AA-8AB9-D2BB4248B061.png
    898 KB · Views: 285
  • 0F270360-3B4B-4B04-AEF4-AFC67B423AF5.png
    0F270360-3B4B-4B04-AEF4-AFC67B423AF5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • F1D2C1DF-3006-41EA-8E84-EBCA0A28443C.png
    F1D2C1DF-3006-41EA-8E84-EBCA0A28443C.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 45
  • B05F0DBF-CC80-4507-97A1-052349B0097E.png
    B05F0DBF-CC80-4507-97A1-052349B0097E.png
    257.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 9EA7D7A2-0F97-4333-9915-6F96BC40BFFD.png
    9EA7D7A2-0F97-4333-9915-6F96BC40BFFD.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 40
Simply said, Traeger temperature controllers are TRASH! I found my grill cooks 20 degrees lower than what the temperature is set at. Needless to say, when it comes time to replace my current Traeger, it’ll be a competing grill. I’m done with Traeger’s. They are no longer the Cadillac of pellet grills.

The sad thing is that Traeger is ok with +/- 7.5F variance on the probe! No chef would ever accept that. It would appear that Traeger is just lazy and doesn’t want to commit to a more accurate tolerance and have to produce a better product. Having said, one would think that an $1800 smoker would be in the +/- 1F tolerance range.

I’ve not used anything “made in China” that’s been dependable. Sure would be good to end all trade with them and go back to being the greatest country in the world again!

I’ve not used anything “made in China” that’s been dependable. Sure would be good to end all trade with them and go back to being the greatest country in the world again!

Sorry, but I think that stating products "made in China" as undependable is a gross mis-characterization. China has some of the best manufacturing capabilities in the world. They also have a workforce motivated to work. That is why so many things we purchase are made in factories there.

I am not so sure that the USA has a workforce committed to work. Students in our high schools prepare for college, but those who do not go on to college fail to learn practical skills that will prepare them for a job after graduation. If you ask a child today what they want to be when they grow up, how many of them will say that they want to work on a farm, in a factory, in a mine or in an auto repair shop? A large percentage would much rather have a job where they can work remotely from home on their cellphones and computers. It is this cultural change in the USA that has led to a decline in the manufacturing capabilities. The factories we do have are highly automated because people shy away from difficult physical work under hot, smelly, dirty, noisy conditions..

Although I mostly agree with you, I personally haven’t seen, owned and used any quality products “made in China” and I blame the leaders of our country that let this happen over the years. Heck no people don’t want to work anymore, our government (again leaders) has given up on “American Made”. Growing up in the 70s schools prepared kids with skills, college prep courses, shop classes, home economics, etc. parents was held liable for kids actions. I never went to college but I loved going to shop classes. I’ve been a very successful self employed contractor for forty years (the shop classes inspired me and I figured the rest out on my own) I’ve had college graduates that worked for me. College isn’t as important than the will to work and desire to succeed. Kids today are spoiled by parents to the point of letting them dictate what they do, heck nowadays kids think they are cats, dogs or whatever they “classify as”. What has happened to our country? Cultural change IS the issue but it’s created by the lack of respect, leadership and parenting. Not all jobs are easy and if we had control of the undocumented workers ( 90% of construction laborers today) then someone would have to do the hard work. I’m living proof that it won’t kill you and it does pay off. Young people need to learn what it means to start at the bottom and work towards the top! Respect!!!

Hey guys, lets tone down the political rhetoric on this site. There are plenty other sites for that.

It is well known that the Traeger temp probes are not reliable, so for $1800 you bought a pretty nice grill that requires a 3rd party thermometer. You can always spend $2400 and not have to worry too much about temp accuracy (Yoder 640 has Fireboard built-in). ;)

That said, not even a chef would rely on a grill probe alone...always use a high-quality instant read for final accuracy. Different tools for different jobs!

I agree but also think part of it is people not reporting it to Traeger. I was at a trade show working and talked to a Traeger exec. I brought this up to him and he said (I can't remember the exact figure he used) that less then 5% (or whatever number he used) of the complaint calls they get are for the probe accuracy so they don't consider it an issue. I guess they assume that 95% of them are accurate to within a couple degrees because people don't call and complain. I am curious if it would help if everyone of us called in and filed a complaint. Maybe they would look into something better, or possibly (like I assume) they realize it's and issue and as long as people are still buying them they just don't care. I bet if you pulled bac the curtain most of the higher ups at Traeger own stock in Fireboard and Ink Bird.....

I brought this up to him and he said (I can't remember the exact figure he used) that less then 5% (or whatever number he used) of the complaint calls they get are for the probe accuracy so they don't consider it an issue.
And I think he's full of :poop: , or he's in the dark.

I solved my problem with a superior probe system, but then again, I've never been 'without' a probe system for my years of smoking.
I would be using it anyway, whether Traeger had a good one or not. It's just , for me, considered responsible BBQing to double check and make sure you are cooking your food to temp and "in" temp controlled pit.
I guess what I mean is, by default, the very first accessory to not be without is a good probe system.

I agree but also think part of it is people not reporting it to Traeger.

I won't argue with that one bit, but since "made in China" is all over this brand, then I doubt the "results" or "solution" from them would be trustworthy still. I know I wouldn't be without at least a 2pit/6meat probe system no matter what Traeger upgraded to.

I'm now officially a new member of the hate the "Traeger probe" club. Prior to Christmas, I did 10 butts on four cooks. I used the stock probe on each of those cooks as well as a Thermoworks Dot. During those cooks, the stock was always with in 1 or 2 degrees of the Dot.

Last week, I smoked a brisket and the end cook temp was 220. I waited several minutes for it to push through 200. When it finally did, I headed out the door to remove it. Prior to removing it, I checked it with a Thermoworks Pop and it read 220. I was not a happy camper.

From this day forward, I will always depend on a third party temp probe when a probe is required

I've never used the Traeger probe...Meater all the way. My grill temp overall is also 20 degrees off from the Meater ambient temp, but its quickly compensated for. Overall I really like the Traeger, but I'm no pitmaster either :)

Back