To heat or not to heat

JGil

Reaction score
Grill
34 Series
Hi! I’m a Traeger newbie and my Pro 34 set on high heat doesn’t go much above 350. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks

Hi! I’m a Traeger newbie and my Pro 34 set on high heat doesn’t go much above 350. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks
Have you tried changing pellets?
It might be easier if you tell us what you have eliminated as potential causes.

Welcome to the Forum...
1) Do you have an external calibrated thermometer ( like a FB) ?
2) What are the temps that you get on Smoke and Medium
1625000864432.png

3) Do you have the latest SW/ FW Load ?

Have you tried changing pellets?
It might be easier if you tell us what you have eliminated as potential causes.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve used the Traeger 4 times so I don’t have a lot of experience. I have used some different flavored pellets though.
Per the Traeger troubleshooting website, I checked to see that the pellets were dry and they were. I also made sure there was air flowing through the area where the pellets burn. That’s it.

Welcome to the Forum...
1) Do you have an external calibrated thermometer ( like a FB) ?
2) What are the temps that you get on Smoke and Medium
View attachment 6205
3) Do you have the latest SW/ FW Load ?
Thanks John,

I have not checked temps on smoke and medium. To be honest, I’m unsure what the SW/FW load refers to.

SW/FW refers to software/firmware.

I believe the Pro 34 has a digital controller that does not have wifire, so the SW/FW Is not upgradable.It maybe a rtd or pellets. You actually need to check pit temp with a reliable 3rd party thermometer to know what the grill is actually doing.

Last edited:
The HIGH setting should get you close to 450 if everything is working correctly. If you set it to 375, does it get to 375?

How much time are you giving it to get to those temps, and are you keeping the lid closed?

Back