Timberline XL. Location is Colorado, altitude 7,500 feet

robertowoods

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline XL
I have a Timberline XL. Location is Colorado, altitude 7,500 feet MSL
What adjustments should I make for smoking two rib roasts, each weighs 17 pounds using the Traeger Slow Smoked and Roasted Prime Rib?

I live in Colorado Springs, 6000 ft altitude. I don't make any adjustments due to altitude, but living in a place like yourself where the humidity spends a lot of time in the single digits, I always add moisture to the smoke chamber. My drip pan may be apple juice, apple vinegar and some water, to make sure I have some humidity in the cooking chamber. My unit is an old one just made out of steel so I will sometimes use a welding blanket if the outside temp is really low. Yours is an insulated model so you shouldn't have to worry much about outside temp. As far as time and temp for your protein I will leave that to some of the experts on this site. The folks here have always provided great tips on different cuts which has helped me with many successful smokes. Welcome to a wealth of great information for any problems you may experience. Hope this was helpful

The Timberline can be used for baking breads, cakes, cookies, etc. Because water boils at a lower temperature as the elevation rises above sea level, you will need to make similar changes to the recipe that you would if baking in the oven. My daughter lives outside Denver. It took her quite a while to adjust her recipes to make baked goods come out properly.

Because cooking protein is often done at lower temperatures and you are more concerned with rendering fat and connective tissue than you are boiling water, it is not necessary to make significant changes to the cook methods. However, if the humidity of the air is low, there may not be sufficient moisture in the wood chips to keep adequate humidity within the cooking chamber. Thus, keeping a pan of water, apple juice, cider vinegar, or beer in the chamber might be helpful. Even though I am only at 900 ft elevation, I often use a mixture of water, apple juice, and vinegar in equal proportions.

Back