Timberline XL Flame Sensor Error

Manny

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline XL
I’ve had my Timberline XL for about 4 1/2 months. And it’s been inoperable for about the last month. I had a few issues on arrival which corrected themselves. Then the primary screen went out. Had to wait for a new HBA replacement. Did that, only to be followed by the flame sensor error which I’ve been fighting for a couple of weeks now. Traeger support sent me a new flame sensor and rod. I have replaced it but the error persists. I cannot get rid of that error. They are now going to send me a new motherboard which makes little sense since I just replaced the HBA. To say I’m frustrated after spending $3500+ is an understatement. Has anyone dealt with this and or found a fix?

The fix is to return the XL. I have had numerous issues since I bought mine. I got the flame sensor error, which was actually a motherboard issue. The grill doesn't heat correctly or at least accurately. I can't get the ambient temp inside the grill to be anywhere close to the setting on the grill. If I set the grill to 250, it only reaches 210. If I set it to 300 it gets to 225. Traeger insists the grill is correctly operating and refuses to accept the readings from a 3rd party ambient thermometer. I'm sure this is also a motherboard issue since replacing the thermocouple doesn't resolve the issue. The purchase of this grill was one of the worst decisions I have made. The XL is nowhere near ready for market.

I’ll tell you what, returning it has crossed my mind more than once. If the motherboard replacement doesn’t fix the issue, then it will become much more likely that I do return it. Hard to believe that after just a few months, I will have replaced all the components.

Thanks for the feeback.

And this POS just shutdown completely again… Time to look at return options. Unbelievable.

Be sure to let Traeger know how unhappy you are and that others had similar issues. Maybe they will wake up and do something about this.

I’ve had my Timberline XL for about 4 1/2 months. And it’s been inoperable for about the last month. I had a few issues on arrival which corrected themselves. Then the primary screen went out. Had to wait for a new HBA replacement. Did that, only to be followed by the flame sensor error which I’ve been fighting for a couple of weeks now. Traeger support sent me a new flame sensor and rod. I have replaced it but the error persists. I cannot get rid of that error. They are now going to send me a new motherboard which makes little sense since I just replaced the HBA. To say I’m frustrated after spending $3500+ is an understatement. Has anyone dealt with this and or found a fix?
First I want to say that spending $3,500 for a grill is a little crazy. I don’t care how much $$$ you have.
Second, my experience with Traeger’s CS over the years and several different grills is that they will take care of your problem. Hang in there pal.

First I want to say that spending $3,500 for a grill is a little crazy. I don’t care how much $$$ you have.
Second, my experience with Traeger’s CS over the years and several different grills is that they will take care of your problem. Hang in there pal.
At this point, I’d say spending $3500 on a grill has been a huge mistake. One that I never should have gotten into. But here we are.. Still not working as it should. After my numerous calls to CS, they have finally acknowledged it’s a known issue. A firmware fix will be made at some point. But yes, to your point; spending $3500 was one of the dumbest decisions I’ve made.

If they can't resolve the issue, then they should/will replace it or send an authorized technician to your home. They did it with at the end of last year (December), after they could not find a tech in my area willing to come out and figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m guessing that because they know it’s a firmware issue, I’ll have to try that before they do anything else. Question is, when is the firmware update going to become available…

They wanted me to open works up via a video link and it ended up being a bigger task than I wanted to handle, so they just replaced the entire smoker. Mine went inexplicably dead as a door mail on thanksgiving day 2022. I ended up with a back and forth for about 3 days via phone calls. The good thing is it was the same customer service tech. He called me everyday with updates.

I know there have been others who seem to have had a bad customer service experience, but that has not been me. I guess I’m lucky.

I would say yes I are indeed lucky. I’ve gone back and forth on chats, phone calls, videos etc which seems like every weekend for the last few months. Still not much better off. I have spent more time with customer service than I have grilling. They have yet to so much as suggest sending someone out or god forbid, replacing it. At this rate, I’ll be a Traeger service rep. And same service rep? For me, not a chance.

Here we are a month later and still no resolution. I’ve been promised a visit from a certified technician, never happened. Now Traeger is escalating yet again. I’ve told them we have 2 options. Replacement or Refund. I’d prefer a refund but I did not buy it directly from Traeger so I know that’s not going to happen. This has been an absolute joke.

Still having the same issue with my Ironwood XL. Flame sensor error and Lid sensor error. I did the video call and took everything apart and reconnected everything. That didn't fix anything. They asked me about my extension cord which I replaced for a few cooks that seemed to fix the problem. But they have come back.

After a month of going back and forth, finally got them to replace my Timberline XL. I had tried everything.

After a month of going back and forth, finally got them to replace my Timberline XL. I had tried everything.
Glad you seemed to get some resolution, even if it wasn't a full refund. FWIW, my XL has been working flawlessly since my posts. It may have been the software updates, but I'm not sure. Either way it's humming along nicely now.

Back