Timberline XL Ash

Pellet.Rookie

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline XL
Hello all. New to Traeger & getting back into using a pellet smoker. I had my first cook on the timberline xl today. It was a 4 hr cook at mostly 275 with about an hour at 325. Overall I was pleased with the results. But I found ash in the main cooking area. A thin layer of ask built up on the upper heat deflector on the fire pot side, mainly around the back outer edge. There were also specks of ash throughout the grates. I would say the ash was minimal but more than I expected, especially with the two heat deflectors and new ez clean ash catcher. I used Bear Mountain pellets for what’s it’s worth. Anyone else with these new smokers experience ash in the main cook area? I’m left wondering if this is normal.

Yes. I noticed it first right after the "seasoning" burn. Before, bright and shiney. After 1 hour at 400 f, there was a very light ash over everything.

After my grill has cooled thoroughly, I use a leaf blower to blow all of the pellet dust and ash out of the grill. Just make sure you do this outdoors and take precautions to keep the dust out of your eyes, nose, and mouth.

Back