Thoughts on the new RecTeq Smokestone 600

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
Has anyone seen the new griddle announced by Rec Teq?

"Introducing the world’s first and only wood fired griddle: the recteq SmokeStone. The only griddle that adds delicious wood fired smoke flavor to every sizzling bite. Plus, the SmokeStone is the only griddle with precise, Wi-Fi Temperature Control, so the griddle automatically adjusts the heat to ensure your food cooks evenly and consistently every time!"

It might be great for some folks, but not for me. If I want smoke flavor, I use my Ironwood. If I use the griddle, it is for a hot and fast cook. I like the convenience of turning on the gas burner and being able to start the cook a few minutes later. I have to clean the griddle surface, but I do not have to clean up wood ashes afterwards. If you are cooking for a lot of people such that you cooks are long enough to make a wood burner practical, then the SmokeStone might be wonderful. I am cooking for my wife and I, so I am cooking a couple of hamburgers or brats, searing a steak (which we share), or cooking hibachi fried rice, or bacon and eggs. The cook rarely lasts more than a few minutes.

There are a lot of different situations, so having options is nice.

It seems weird to me and not needed. Like Recteq was trying to capitalize on the griddles popularity, but didn't want to go completely away from what they do like Traeger did so we end up with this gimmick. I could be wrong.......Recteq as I understand it is a really great company with really great products......but this seems like a miss to me. Like who needs wifi control on a griddle and does anyone think it's actually going to work?

My $0.02.
Griddle = short order cook stuff. (To your liking of course)

Wood = low & slow

It might be great for some folks, but not for me. If I want smoke flavor, I use my Ironwood. If I use the griddle, it is for a hot and fast cook. I like the convenience of turning on the gas burner and being able to start the cook a few minutes later. I have to clean the griddle surface, but I do not have to clean up wood ashes afterwards. If you are cooking for a lot of people such that you cooks are long enough to make a wood burner practical, then the SmokeStone might be wonderful. I am cooking for my wife and I, so I am cooking a couple of hamburgers or brats, searing a steak (which we share), or cooking hibachi fried rice, or bacon and eggs. The cook rarely lasts more than a few minutes.

There are a lot of different situations, so having options is nice.

That's a good point. I don't think I want my pancakes to have a smokey flavor :)

Back