Temperature incorrect

I did a Brisket for Xmas, I tried using the Ironwood L but I was not hitting my temp targets for the cook at a certain time. Ended up using the 885 to get the cook times back on track.

Have to say, it was cold outside. So I went to my Pit Boss. My Timberline XL did come with some kind of bluetooth probes. Now I can understand why. Still, I have not used them. Just goes against the grain somehow.

I went through similar issues with an Ironwood XL. I noticed that my 3rd part probes were off and cook times were long. So, I ran a few experiments and measured that the area near the grill probe wase off. Setting of 225 for a grill temp gor a center cooking temp of about 190. 500 got around 400. I compensated for a few cooks and then started to tinker. An aluminum foil shield helped, but I still reached out to Traeger to see if something was off. According to tech support my grill was functioning correctly, but at startup was just at the edge of acceptable temperature accuracy. They sent me a new probe.

The new probe was a common part for timberline and ironwood and had a timberline mounting bracket. For the ironwood you reuse your existing mount. But, there were no instructions for positioning the probe. So, I asked tech support if this mattered. They informed me that it does. I relocated my existing probe a quarter inch higher similar to what the probe i received was mounted in the timberline probe. When I ran another check I got much more favorable results. 225 setting gave me 220 near the back right corner and 225 above the burner on the included probes and on my thermopro probes.

Hope this fixes things and maybe worth a check if you have an Ironwood or timberline

Last edited:
I went through similar issues with an Ironwood XL. I noticed that my 3rd part probes were off and cook times were long. So, I ran a few experiments and measured that the area near the grill probe wase off. Setting of 225 for a grill temp gor a center cooking temp of about 190. 500 got around 400. I compensated for a few cooks and then started to tinker. An aluminum foil shield helped, but I still reached out to Traeger to see if something was off. According to tech support my grill was functioning correctly, but at startup was just at the edge of acceptable temperature accuracy. They sent me a new probe.

The new probe was a common part for timberline and ironwood and had a timberline mounting bracket. For the ironwood you reuse your existing mount. But, there were no instructions for positioning the probe. So, I asked tech support if this mattered. They informed me that it does. I relocated my existing probe a quarter inch higher similar to what the probe i received was mounted in the timberline probe. When I ran another check I got much more favorable results. 225 setting gave me 220 near the back right corner and 225 above the burner on the included probes and on my thermopro probes.

Hope this fixes things and maybe worth a check if you have an Ironwood or timberline
Interesting, Do you have pics of the temp probe?

I have an analog thermometer located in the lid of my Ironwood. It is in the center (left to right) and mounted so the tip is about 1" above the top grate.

This weekend, I was cooking cedar plank salmon and wanted a chamber temp 400F. I started the grill with a controller setting of 225F. I then observed the Traeger RTD thermocouple output and the analog thermometer as I increased the temperature to 400F. The Traeger temp always read higher than the analog thermometer by 25-50F. When the chamber temperature reached 400F as measured by the analog thermometer, the Traeger temperature varied between 450-460F.

Very hot air is rising from the firepot along the front, back and sides of the grill as the center is covered by the drip pan. The center of the grill never gets as hot as the side where the RTD thermocouple is located.

Here are a couple of images. The new thermocouple, original adjusted, and installed.

Attachments

• PXL_20240826_200651941.jpg
    PXL_20240826_200651941.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240826_201026026.jpg
    PXL_20240826_201026026.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240826_201151830.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240826_201151830.MP.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 10
Back