Temp Probe Discussion

CMTiger

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 575 / Weber Genesis / Weber 28” Griddle / Orion Cooker
Not so much on which one you use....already established the stock one isn't accurate.

How do you remove it after cooks? Like do you take it out of the meat and just leave it in the pit, or do you pull it back out through the port? I know it's kinda a weird question, but I pull it out of the port but the little seal seems to fall out on me all the time. Maybe I just need to be easier with it or something.

Not so much on which one you use....already established the stock one isn't accurate.

How do you remove it after cooks? Like do you take it out of the meat and just leave it in the pit, or do you pull it back out through the port? I know it's kinda a weird question, but I pull it out of the port but the little seal seems to fall out on me all the time. Maybe I just need to be easier with it or something.
Many of us use the FireBoard competition probes, which are straight and not nearly as thick. And yes, I pull my probes out of the grill after each use, to be cleaned and stored. I haven’t had a problem with that grommet, when using the comp probes, but the standard probe will pop it out if not careful.

I take mine out of the meat and then leave it through the port, but hanging outside the grill until it cools, then remove from the grill.

My rubber grommet also falls out if I try to pull the probe through. Especially if the grill is still hot or warm. It stiffens up a bit when things cool down.

My rubber grommet also falls out if I try to pull the probe through. Especially if the grill is still hot or warm. It stiffens up a bit when things cool down.
so do you just kinda baby it through?

so do you just kinda baby it through?
That's all you can do with the fatter probes, or pull all the way thru if the plug end is smaller. The Fireboard comp probes solved all that as they are very thin so they pass thru the side hole easily.

Until I got the Fire Board comp probes I would feed the the plug through the grommet from inside - out. Seemed to work better.

Many of us use the FireBoard competition probes, which are straight and not nearly as thick. And yes, I pull my probes out of the grill after each use, to be cleaned and stored. I haven’t had a problem with that grommet, when using the comp probes, but the standard probe will pop it out if not careful.
I insert the big probes backwards through the grommet...
From the inside of the grill I insert the wire connector and pull it from outside the smoker.

I insert the big probes backwards through the grommet...
From the inside of the grill I insert the wire connector and pull it from outside the smoker.
You mean like when you’re connecting it? You feed from inside out?

You mean like when you’re connecting it? You feed from inside out?
Yeah, I was responding to the post where someone indicated that the big probe is diffcicut to insert through the smoker rubber grommet, sometimes causing it to pop out.
So, I go backwards...I insert the probe's electrical connector from the inside of the smoker toward the outside and then pull the cable and connect it to the FB unit.
The connector is small and it does not pop out the grommet.
Them FB big probes are huge !
I like the competition style but... they tend to fall off easily if you are not careful when repositioning whatever is being smoked.

I bought an 10 pack of those grommets, then if you look at them, they are beveled right???
the way you put the grommet in the hole is the same direction you feed your probe and pull it thru when you wanna clean

I did this and never used one of my replacements cuz I never had it come out again
ALSO, you can install it with HIGH TEMP SILICONE and call it a day.

I bought an 10 pack of those grommets, then if you look at them, they are beveled right???
the way you put the grommet in the hole is the same direction you feed your probe and pull it thru when you wanna clean

I did this and never used one of my replacements cuz I never had it come out again
ALSO, you can install it with HIGH TEMP SILICONE and call it a day.

The brain trust in this forum is truly incredible! Individually these might be small things, but collectively they make the whole experience of cooking so much better.

I use FB comp probes and just feed it around the corner that way I can take the meat probes to the cooler and watch the tem urging the rest…
‘the ambient probes are fed thro the grommet…

On the bigger probes I pull the plug through the grommet most of the time. If not let it cool and carefully pull large end through.

Back