Temp keeps rising

jhussus

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Bbq070
I recently got a traeger bbq070 (I think this is the lil tex) from a friend. The controller is the old smoke, medium, high switch. When I plugged it in, the grill would constantly run at high and get to 500 + deg, regardless of its setting. I bought a new controller (bac365), and I'm having the exact same issue. If I put it on smoke, it will just run at high and get to 500 + deg. I have already tried adjusting the p setting. Anybody have any suggestions?

Did you replace the rtd also?

Yes, I did, it all came together in a kit. It's not OEM, but got great reviews and seemed to work for others. Seems strange to have the same issue with two controllers. I cant imagine it's an issue with the fan or motor, both are working, they just never move less than full blast.

I checked the wiring and everything looks fine. Is there a way to check if the control works using a multi meter? I was going to disconnect everything except the power, then connect a multimeter to the fan connection, then see if I get a change in voltage (or ohms?) when switching from smoke to high. But honestly, I don't know if that is how it works. It sill seems like a controller problem, but just find it hard to believe I would have two bad controllers, one old and one brand new.

Attachments

• 20210220_074225.jpg
    20210220_074225.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210220_074447.jpg
    20210220_074447.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 74
I agree it sounds like either the rtd or the controller. Here the manual. How have you been starting it?

Attachments

• BBQ070_Manual.pdf
    278.3 KB · Views: 224
Just make sure that the fan and auger wires aren't reversed. Not sure if those older AC units had unique connectors or not. It sounds like the auger isn't being controlled, just running continuous?

Just make sure that the fan and auger wires aren't reversed. Not sure if those older AC units had unique connectors or not. It sounds like the auger isn't being controlled, just running continuous?
Screenshot_20210220-132143_Drive.jpg
here is the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the info and the suggestions. I will double check the wiring. Yes, it is correct, both the auger and fan are running continuous and not being controlled. I put a new controller on it (after market bac365) and having the same issue, running continuous. Will get really hot on smoke, then hit an error message and shut off (see attached files). The first one is the error message and looks like it says "Her." The second one shows it at 462 on smoke.

Attachments

• 20210220_141601.jpg
    20210220_141601.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210220_141520.jpg
    20210220_141520.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 46
I agree it sounds like either the rtd or the controller. Here the manual. How have you been starting it?
Thanks for the manual. I primed the auger, then just start it on smoke. Will blow past smoke temp and get up near 500 deg.

Thanks for the manual. I primed the auger, then just start it on smoke. Will blow past smoke temp and get up near 500 deg.
Read the manual on starting your grill. On the bbq070 the lid is open on startup.

This could be your issue.

The auger must start and stop, the fan runs continuously. It is possible to have a bad replacement. The fan and auger are just motors that run when powered, so if the controller isn't cycling the auger, it's bad.

Latest Discussions

Back