Help! Stuck auger bushing

jablase

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Elite (BBQ07E)
I just finished freeing up a stuck auger on the old Traeger I just purchased and would like to ultimately take it apart to replace the rusty auger and worn bushing. However, I can't seem to get the old bushing to come out. Any tips for getting this unstuck?

Never seen one, what's the bushing made of? brass? plastic? rusted metal??

Never seen one, what's the bushing made of? brass? plastic? rusted metal??
Bushing appears to be hard plastic, same diameter as auger housing (of course), but approximately 1.5 inches long with a hole in the center for the auger-to-motor connection to slide through. All videos I've watch on YouTube show it as fairly loose in the opening and easy to remove, but mine is really tight and I am out of ideas on how to free it up.

Well good news is it's not seized because of rust, can you use a piece of PVC pipe and a hammer?
Meaning, you might have to make a C shape out of the pipe to go around whatever shaft is in the way... then tap on it somehow. This would help not damage the plastic bushing or deform it while trying to remove it???
Is this method even possible? Maybe include a couple pics if you can....
Lots of guys on here are pretty handy.

Well good news is it's not seized because of rust, can you use a piece of PVC pipe and a hammer?
Meaning, you might have to make a C shape out of the pipe to go around whatever shaft is in the way... then tap on it somehow. This would help not damage the plastic bushing or deform it while trying to remove it???
Is this method even possible? Maybe include a couple pics if you can....
Lots of guys on here are pretty handy.
Ignore the cotter pin. Previous owner put that in, so I am ordering a replacement auger motor bolt when I replace the auger. While it functions now, I don't like the level of rust there, so I would like to remove the auger, clean it up, treat the remaining rust, and repaint it. Trouble is, the bushing is really in there solidly. There's not a lot of room behind it to hook onto either, so I am in a tough spot trying to get it out.

20210614_104245.jpg

20210614_104248.jpg

Get that motor out of the way, stand that upright and spray penetrating oil in there... let it sit a couple day in the heat outside maybe.... hit it with a hammer to loosen it and pull it out...

Man, that's a sad looking auger, I've never seen one rusted like that. Like it was stored with wet pellets for months more. Good on you for reviving it.

Man, that's a sad looking auger, I've never seen one rusted like that. Like it was stored with wet pellets for months more. Good on you for reviving it.
Thanks. It very clearly was stored with pellets in it, outside, in the dirt (legs were missing when I got it, and it had dirt clumped up around the blower motor). It took a few hours, lots of vacuuming, and even a bit of high-pressure water to clear it all out.

Thanks. It very clearly was stored with pellets in it, outside, in the dirt (legs were missing when I got it, and it had dirt clumped up around the blower motor). It took a few hours, lots of vacuuming, and even a bit of high-pressure water to clear it all out.

How much did they pay you to haul it away?! :D

How much did they pay you to haul it away?! :D
Joking aside, purchase price was $40, so even with the purchase of legs ($130), new burn pot and hot rod due to rust hole in burn pot and wires chewed through on hot rod ($35), I am getting away fairly cheaply, in my opinion. A can of high-temp black paint for the outside, new gasket for the lid, and I am ready to cook.

You might be able to take the fire pot out and drive the auger and bushing out from the inside. You might be able to use a punch to drive on the auger just don’t bend the fire pot flange to much. Just a thought.

You might be able to take the fire pot out and drive the auger and bushing out from the inside. You might be able to use a punch to drive on the auger just don’t bend the fire pot flange to much. Just a thought.
AGREED, but he still needs to get rid of the motor so he don't ruin it

AGREED, but he still needs to get rid of the motor so he don't ruin it
YES, REMOVE THE AUGER MOTOR FIRST!!

I should have started with that.

YES, REMOVE THE AUGER MOTOR FIRST!!

I should have started with that.
Of course. I had removed it once, when I was first freeing up the auger. I tried removing the fire pot and driving it from there, but I am afraid of damaging the auger housing and what little driving I did from there made no impact.

I am considering soaking it in penetrating oil and trying again later in the week. Any concerns with this idea?

Of course. I had removed it once, when I was first freeing up the auger. I tried removing the fire pot and driving it from there, but I am afraid of damaging the auger housing and what little driving I did from there made no impact.

I am considering soaking it in penetrating oil and trying again later in the week. Any concerns with this idea?
No, just be sure to remove the penetrating oil with a evaporative solvent, then wash it as best you can.

Back