Smoke Tube!

I load a Smoke Tube, I've used both pellets and wood chips, light it and let it burn for several minutes, smoke billowing out of the tube. Lay the tube horizontal on the grill, let it burn for a few more minutes and then close the lid. I see smoke coming from the Traeger, but only for a few short minutes. I don't think the tube is getting enough oxygen to continue to burn and produce smoke. I have an insulated grill cover which may also limit the amount of oxygen needed for the tube to burn.

Bottom line, smoke tube doesn't really seem to work.
You need to set it up at an angle. If your grill doesn’t have an upper level grate prop it up on a rock or piece of brick. They need to burn more upright like a candle.

I load a Smoke Tube, I've used both pellets and wood chips, light it and let it burn for several minutes, smoke billowing out of the tube. Lay the tube horizontal on the grill, let it burn for a few more minutes and then close the lid. I see smoke coming from the Traeger, but only for a few short minutes. I don't think the tube is getting enough oxygen to continue to burn and produce smoke. I have an insulated grill cover which may also limit the amount of oxygen needed for the tube to burn.

Bottom line, smoke tube doesn't really seem to work.
ive noticed it burns way better being vertical rather then horizontal. But vertically it doesnt fit in most grills

ive noticed it burns way better being vertical rather then horizontal. But vertically it doesnt fit in most grills

I have seen some photos where the top of the smoke tube has been placed against a piece of wood, metal, or brick so that it is inclined rather than flat. Do not try using a rock, though; if there are voids in the rock that have trapped water, the rock can explode when heated.

I read that lumberjack pellets are actual WOOD pieces with the bark still attached that create more smoke. I also bought 2 smoke tubes, but maybe those LJ pellets might make things more smoky if you dont have any tubes.

Back