Smoke amount coming from Pro 575 and Ironwood 650

Konuku

Reaction score
Hello all. I am in the midst of choosing which model to actually buy. I am somewhat worried about the amount of smoke coming from the grill because of neighbours and a couple of other issues. I understand that these grills are in fact "smokers" (ha ha), but I would be curious to know if one puts out more smoke than the other.

I also understand that they use different mechanisms so the smoke in the Ironwood is pushed down towards the food before it is released out the back. But I saw a video where both were in action and the amount of smoke coming from the Pro 575 seemed so much more. Is this actually accurate for those who have used both? They both had smoke coming from the grills themselves, but the exuded smoke from the 575's smokestack was so much more obvious than the smoke coming from the rear of the 650. So, I am wondering if the smoke from the Ironwood 650 is already more dissipated by the time it exits the grill? Or maybe the smokestack is the same but just more obvious?

Also, does the smoke coming out of the rear of the 650 tend to stay downwards - a bit like fog? I am also a bit worried about it lingering more than the 575 since it exits much lower. We have an underground wine cellar whose door would be somewhat close to the cooker (several meters), so I would not want the smoke to enter into the cellar.

I would love to get a user's view on this.

TYIA!

Last edited:
I was advised to install a gasket to minimize the smoke and retain more flavor to the meat.

I was advised to install a gasket to minimize the smoke and retain more flavor to the meat.
Thanks. What type of gasket? Would it be around the smoke stack or around the lid? I am quite ignorant when it comes to pellet grills as this would be my first and I don't own an egg (yet) either. :)

Last edited:
Hello all. I am in the midst of choosing which model to actually buy. I am somewhat worried about the amount of smoke coming from the grill because of neighbours and a couple of other issues. I understand that these grills are in fact "smokers" (ha ha), but I would be curious to know if one puts out more smoke than the other.

I have a Century 885 which is similar to the Pro 575 (has the chimney on one side) It emits very little visible smoke when cooking above 200 degF, but still imparts plenty of flavor to the food. The only time I see relatively heavy smoke is during ignition (it can get very smoky but that is for a brief time) and when operating below 200 degF. Good luck!

Personal question: where do you live in France? My bride and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary there next year (coming to watch Le Tour!).

We have an Ironwood 650. Smoke comes out the back vent, the grease slot and slightly from the lid. If you've had a prior smoker that uses wood chunks and charcoal, the pellets don't come close. I love my Traeger, but it's not a smoker. Let's be honest.

However..... I recently started using the A-Maze-N tube (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DL0PETC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but with mostly wood chips and some pellets mixed in. It is very very close to the smoke flavor I got with our WSM smoker. It smokes for about 3 hours. There is plenty of smoke and it's the thin, blue, smoldering wood smoke. To me, the pellets don't add the rich, smokey flavor of real wood.

I hope this is helpful to someone. : )

I have a Century 885 which is similar to the Pro 575 (has the chimney on one side) It emits very little visible smoke when cooking above 200 degF, but still imparts plenty of flavor to the food. The only time I see relatively heavy smoke is during ignition (it can get very smoky but that is for a brief time) and when operating below 200 degF. Good luck!

Personal question: where do you live in France? My bride and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary there next year (coming to watch Le Tour!).
Thanks! It is very possible that the video footage I saw was during the initial lighting. So thanks so much for letting me know that it doesn't always create a ton of smoke. Very good to know. :) I am in Burgundy close to Beaune. It's an amazing place for wine lovers. :)

We have an Ironwood 650. Smoke comes out the back vent, the grease slot and slightly from the lid. If you've had a prior smoker that uses wood chunks and charcoal, the pellets don't come close. I love my Traeger, but it's not a smoker. Let's be honest.

However..... I recently started using the A-Maze-N tube (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DL0PETC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but with mostly wood chips and some pellets mixed in. It is very very close to the smoke flavor I got with our WSM smoker. It smokes for about 3 hours. There is plenty of smoke and it's the thin, blue, smoldering wood smoke. To me, the pellets don't add the rich, smokey flavor of real wood.

I hope this is helpful to someone. : )
Thanks! I am keen to use as a more normal grill as well as a smoker. I just hope it gives more smoke than my gas grill which gives very little (only from the grease hitting the flames). So I will look for one of these too to add smoke when I am actually doing a smoke. :)

I also understand that they use different mechanisms so the smoke in the Ironwood is pushed down towards the food before it is released out the back. But I saw a video where both were in action and the amount of smoke coming from the Pro 575 seemed so much more. Is this actually accurate for those who have used both? They both had smoke coming from the grills themselves, but the exuded smoke from the 575's smokestack was so much more obvious than the smoke coming from the rear of the 650. So, I am wondering if the smoke from the Ironwood 650 is already more dissipated by the time it exits the grill? Or maybe the smokestack is the same but just more obvious?

Also, does the smoke coming out of the rear of the 650 tend to stay downwards - a bit like fog? I am also a bit worried about it lingering more than the 575 since it exits much lower. We have an underground wine cellar whose door would be somewhat close to the cooker (several meters), so I would not want the smoke to enter into the cellar.

TYIA!

T

TYIA!
The smoke exits through the downdraft in the back of the Ironwood, but smoke rises, so I don't see how it can enter your basement.

The usual complaint with Traegers is that they are very efficient and don't produce enough smoke. Thats why we end up using smoke tubes. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

T

The smoke exits through the downdraft in the back of the Ironwood, but smoke rises, so I don't see how it can enter your basement.
That would make sense so thanks for confirming. Smoke is so strong and can stick which is what worries me.

TYIA!
Neither will provide a decent smoke flavor
! However the 650 controller allows for SUPER SMOKE. Look into campchef.

Back