Silverton 620, WiFIRE, iphone (Verizon), Comcast Modem (XB7) connection issue resolved (iphone VPN & Avast Web Protection, turn off)

Newmie

Reaction score
Grill
Silvertion 620
Thought I would post what was stopping me from connecting my Silverton 620 to my network. I split my network 2.4g / 5g via the comcast xfi app and selected my 2.4 network but not luck handshaking my iphone 12 to the traeger. I turned off cellular, still no luck. This this next step fixed it.

Under iphone settings search 'VPN' then select 'VPN & Device Management' then select 'VPN". Next select the 'i' icon to the right of Avast Web Protection. Under Avast Web Protection turn off 'Connect On Demand'. Then back out to the VPN screen and turn off 'VPN' too. Restart the Traeger app and grill, go through the connect steps on the app. Hopefully for you it will connect and this time say downloading files. If it fails to connect after downloading files (like it did for me) restart the app and grill again. Go through the connect steps again it will show downloading files again but after that ask for your grill name. Continue on following the app sets.

I have yet to see a post about turning off Avast Web Protection so i hope this helps someones from spending hours an hours setting up WiFIRE. PS I had no issues reconnecting to the grill after resetting my phone and internet.

I am glad you were able to figure out how to get around the complexity of your router, VPN, and firewalls to install your Silverton.

I have Comcast Internet, but have always owned my own cable modem and router. I upgrade them every couple of years for best performance. I currently use a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and a WiFi 67 router. I do not want a combination modem/router as I usually upgrade my router more frequently than my modem. Renting from Comcast is not cost effective. When you own your own equipment, you can configure it they way you want.

Firewalls and VPNs do provide protection from some types of hacking attacks, but they also add complexity. Both your router and your antivirus likely have firewalls that will need to be considered when connecting new equipment.

Back