Silverton 620 Enhancements

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Century 885 returned to store. Trying out a Silverton 620.
I'm intentionally not calling these 'mods'. Mods to me imply permanent changes that might affect warranty.

The first enhancement was to add LavaLock gasket to the lips of the lid. The gasket is placed in front and 1/2 way back on the lid sides. If I put the gasket all the way back on the sides the lid wouldn't close flush in front. I chose to put the gasket on the lid lips as opposed to the grill because if I spill a basting sauce on the grill it won't get on the gasket. I can wipe the mess up before closing the lid.

The 2nd was to add ceramic briquets to the bottom of the pit to aid with heat recovery after opening and closing the lid. Most helpful when cooking thin meats like bacon and chicken tenderloins where the lid gets opened and closed frequently. I bought a stainless steel baking rack, cut a notch out of it so that it straddles the fire pot and auger shaft. Placing the briquets on the rack so that hot air can get all around them.

The 3rd enhancement was to add a standoff to the thermocouple temp sensor, raising the tip just short of the bottom of the upper shelf. Center grate level temp maximum was 450' when the controller displayed 500'. Adding the standoff, the max center grate level temp is now around 480' when the controller displays 500.

Attachments

• 20240729_170109.jpg
    20240729_170109.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240806_183601.jpg
    20240806_183601.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice mods. Here is something for you to consider as well: change the firepot to a stainless steel one. The firepot you have will rust away eventually. Here is the discussion on that:
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/time-for-a-new-firepot.3801/

If you decide to do that please be aware that you will have to rework the hot rod to get some slack. Here are the instructions for that:
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/how-to-replace-the-firepot-hotrod-assembly.1264/
Thanks. Something I will pursue when the time comes. The 620 is new, used maybe 6 times so far, so not yet looking to replace parts based on wear-out.

Back