Setting low temp

Durlinda

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Tailgater 20
We just purchased a new 2020 Tailgater 20. I’m confused by the temp settings. I start it up at 165. It never sets at 165. It varies between 200 and 225. I can not get the temp to go under 200. Is this normal? Why would the grill have a setting of 165 if it never gets that low?

It's probably because it's hot outside already and mine is the same way. The grills aren't designed to just heat by 65* or 70* and 220 seems typical. When it's cold out that should change.

So you’re saying it won’t heat to 165? Starting point is going to be 200-225? I’m learning here thanks

When it's hot and it looks like you're in AZ, I can't imagine it's cold there right now.

Yesterday was 99

So the inside of your grill is already at 100 or even more... start a pellet fire in there and only expect it to raise the temp only 65?? That's what Walleye meant by The grills aren't designed to just heat by 65* or 70* and 220 seems typical. When it's cold out that should change.

I took my pro22 back because I wanted to be able to make Jerky at a low temp, it wouldn't go below 250 when set at 165... with the 575 I hope I get better results but I know I will probably NEVER only hold 165 on a HOT day in the 90s. Jerky can go as high as 200 but better at 190... if I have to wait for FALL, WINTER, and SPRING to make Jerky then so be it.

I'm having the same problem with a brand new 575, I'm in Az., but I started it this morning as a trial at 65 degrees outside, and yep, zoomed right to 220 and stayed there. If I wanted higher temps, I would just cook in the oven in my house.

I also live in AZ. Contacted Traeger. After quite a few calls and letting them know I am not happy they are sending me a new Digital Pro Controller. You may have to be firm with them. Good luck

I also live in AZ. Contacted Traeger. After quite a few calls and letting them know I am not happy they are sending me a new Digital Pro Controller. You may have to be firm with them. Good luck
Thank you so much! Yes, so far it feels like just fishing by the techs and not really knowing what's wrong. It's a surprise gift for my husband who arrives home tomorrow...I'm so bummed it's not working right.

Thank you so much! Yes, so far it feels like just fishing by the techs and not really knowing what's wrong. It's a surprise gift for my husband who arrives home tomorrow...I'm so bummed it's not working right.
Lucky guy, what a sweet gift!

I haven't used low temps much, smoked briskets 24 hours, 1st 12 hrs at 190F. I used a 3rd party WiFi thermometer (Fireboard2) to measure grate temp. I had to set the grill to 175 and to maintain 190F on the Fireboard so the grill's temp probe is off at low temps on mine.

I'll try minimum temp on mine in the morning and see what happens.

You might want to take it back tomorrow where you bought it from

Here's my test results;

Durlinda - I have a brand new Tailgater with same problem - for 8 hours it stayed at 200-210 and would never hit 180 (it was 55-62'f that night). Called Traeger and the Tech Support is terrible. I was so upset with the Tech Support, I looked up CEO Jeremy Andrus on LinkedIn and sent an email. He sent in help!

Finally there is a new controller look at image. Original in on the Right side (red display), middle was an incorrect shipment (blue display) and left is new digital controller. Tell them you want the new digital controller for free.

New Controller 1.jpg

Also there is an issue with the auger pin - it will fall out. Traeger will send you a bolt (7/64 allen head) with locking nut to replace pin.

Faulty Auger Pin.jpgReplacement Auger Pin.jpg

Let me know what happens and Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the advice. I did reach out to Mr Andrea. I received a call from the head of support. She’s on it now.
Thank you for your help

Latest Discussions

Back