Same issue Timberline XL

What non-Traeger temp probes do you all recommend? I currently use a Maverick XR series and have found that the readings vary depending on location of the probe on the grill
Pick your price point

Putting a third party probe will not help with a colder fire box is the controller thinks its hot.

I just bought a timberline xl thinking I wouldn’t have the thermostat issue but I do. Traeger is sending me a new thermocouple but I doubt it will work. My temps are WAY off I have to set the grill to 475 to achieve 350 so searing at 500 is impossible. This grill can’t get above 390 or so even when set to 500.
Did the new part fix your grill?

Putting a third party probe will not help with a colder fire box is the controller thinks its hot.
You just use the third party probe to adjust accordingly. Now the OP has seemingly a whole different problem.

Did the new part fix your grill?
This grill (Timberline XL) is the worst decision I ever made. Not only can the ambient temperature be off by over 100 degrees, the grill can't reach more than 350 even set at 500. Traeger refuses to accept 3rd party temperature calibration and insists the grill is fine. I have replaced thermocouple and motherboard to no avail. I even tried inserting the thermocouple into the cavity through the back wall. Still no good. I think I will have to replace this grill and will never buy Taeger again. They effectively call me a liar when I say I need to set the grill to 475 to get to reach 325. Even though they have temp data showing I used the grill at 475 for 4 hours to cook a brisket. Nobody in their right mind would smoke a brisket at that temp and they know it. Still they refuse to even address the issue. $4000 wasted. Don't buy this product.

Back