Same issue Timberline XL

Mikejfix

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline XL
I just bought a timberline xl thinking I wouldn’t have the thermostat issue but I do. Traeger is sending me a new thermocouple but I doubt it will work. My temps are WAY off I have to set the grill to 475 to achieve 350 so searing at 500 is impossible. This grill can’t get above 390 or so even when set to 500.

That's sucks. Has Traeger verified that your grill is operating on the most recent firmware? I experienced a similar issue with mine when it was brand new, but the problem was resolved after the first update.

That's sucks. Has Traeger verified that your grill is operating on the most recent firmware? I experienced a similar issue with mine when it was brand new, but the problem was resolved after the first update.
I think they did. We were on the phone for a long time before they decided to send me the part. But I will double check. Thanks.

I saw the Timberline XL in my local ACE yesterday for the first time and that thing is a beast. An expensive beast.....but well made. Hopefully the firmware update fixes this issue.

It’s amazing that the most expensive and surprisingly popular grills have so many issues. I agree they are (or appear) really nice but that’s a lot of cash for a little extra space. I sure hope you get it resolved, I’ve known two guys recently that took their Timberlines back. They both went to a different manufacturer.

It’s amazing that the most expensive and surprisingly popular grills have so many issues. I agree they are (or appear) really nice but that’s a lot of cash for a little extra space. I sure hope you get it resolved, I’ve known two guys recently that took their Timberlines back. They both went to a different manufacturer.
I mean…..you can by three 780s for less and have more space

I mean…..you can by two 780s for less
Kinda what I had thought….. but then I wouldn’t get anything else done for cooking all the time. Lol
It seems the cheap Pro models give less trouble than the new gen Timberline and Ironwoods

How did you determine that the temperature is not correct? I verified mine with the meat probes and they were accurate to 200f.
It seems my Ironwood XL has alot of grease and creosote compared to my old 885.

Well this is interesting.

Did the exact same test on my 885 and it’s within 15-30deg On the high end of the temp.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7590.jpeg
    IMG_7590.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
As with many forum members problems with the cheap thermometers supplied by Trager we immediately discarded their offering and purchased two of excellent quality on Amazon .
One sets on the grill and reads the oven temperature, the other is inserted into the meat and is read on my wife's phone. Temperature problems solved :)
Traeger grills = very high quality
Traeger thermometers = CRAP !!

How did you determine that the temperature is not correct? I verified mine with the meat probes and they were accurate to 200f.
It seems my Ironwood XL has alot of grease and creosote compared to my old 885.
I put two oven thermometers in different places in the chamber. At higher temperatures the Traeger reading was high by 125 degrees. Just to be extra certain, I put the two thermometers in my home oven and they were within 1 degree of each other and 5 degrees of the oven temp.

I’ll agree the Traeger’s ambient probes are off and you definitely need to use a good third party temperature monitor. I also know that temps will vary inside the cooking chamber a good bit with any probe depending on where you put it. There isn’t any even temperature with the way they are designed (oval shaped, fan blowing different directions, etc) I always go by the middle of the general area of the grate I’m cooking on. Keeping in mind since it does have the fan it cannot be expected to be close continuously. All I cook on my 780 is low and slow, rarely anything above 350 so I just keep my temp on the controller at about 10 degrees higher than its reading (225=235) and let it cook. So lower and slower or a touch higher isn’t a big deal, it gets done a little longer on my 780 but I don’t cook anything if I’m pressed for time. I usually cook in advance most of the time and utilize my vacuum sealer and my Sous Vide to make it simple and stress free.
A house oven isn’t near compatible enough to compare to. The Traeger isn’t insulated and the oven is. Yours is good being within 5 degrees because many ovens, including mine is off 25 or more.

I just bought a timberline xl thinking I wouldn’t have the thermostat issue but I do. Traeger is sending me a new thermocouple but I doubt it will work. My temps are WAY off I have to set the grill to 475 to achieve 350 so searing at 500 is impossible. This grill can’t get above 390 or so even when set to 500.
Good luck. I Had three Traegers. They all had issues. They kept telling me it was the firmware. Or it was the thermal couple. It went on for six months. Never fix the issue finally got my money back and body Recteq. If you were smart, you would get your money back and buy something else. They will keep dragging you on and dragging you on and it will never gets solved.

What non-Traeger temp probes do you all recommend? I currently use a Maverick XR series and have found that the readings vary depending on location of the probe on the grill

Back