Pellets Royal Oak Charcoal Pellets

JayHog

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650, WSM, Great Outdoors natural gas grill
I have a bag of Pitt Boss charcoal pellets I have been wanting to try but I read some posts on here a year or so ago and people were having trouble with charcoal jamming their auger because they were so hard. I think some people were putting them in smoke tubes as a result.

Try them out and report back to us! :D

Will do! I was thinking they would add to the smoke tube/wood chip mix and make sure the ember keeps burning.

I have a bag of Pitt Boss charcoal pellets I have been wanting to try but I read some posts on here a year or so ago and people were having trouble with charcoal jamming their auger because they were so hard. I think some people were putting them in smoke tubes as a result.

Try them out and report back to us! :D
Ok, so I put some of these pellets through my Ironwood and had no issues with auger jam. It smelled pretty good, too.
But then I mixed some in with wood chips in a smoke tube and it doubled the smoke time! I was getting about 3 hours with the wood chips & wood pellets. But with the wood chips and charcoal pellets, it lasted well past 6 hours.

They must burn slower, but it was plenty of smoke the whole time. I got a nice bark on the ribs.
Since they are around $20/bag, I think I'll just put them in the smoke tube.

Happy smokin'...

Last edited:
Ok, so I put some of these pellets through my Ironwood and had no issues with auger jam. It smelled pretty good, too.
But then I mixed some in with a smoke tube and it doubled the smoke time! I was getting about 3 hours with the wood chips & pellets. But with the wood chips and charcoal pellets, it lasted well past 6 hours. They must burn slower, but it was plenty of smoke the whole time. I got a nice bark on the ribs.

Happy smokin'...

Thanks for sharing that information. I have a bag of Pit Boss charcoal pellets and I may try using them this weekend.

I'll try that myself. No way I'm putting them in my 575 but I'll smoke tube them to try out. Thnx

Anyone what to mail me a zip lock bag of them.. lol all I can find is a 20lb bag. I just want enough to put in a smoke tube to try out

I understand that if you have one of the more advanced Traeger models with a pellet sensor that the charcoal pellets do not have sufficient reflectivity to keep the sensor happy. The solution to that is to mix the charcoal pellets with wood pellets. That might also help with the jamming issues as well. The direct drive augers are pretty beefy, so I doubt they are going to jam. The augers in the less expensive models are not nearly as robust.

I understand that the heat output from the charcoal is significantly higher than wood pellets. If you are into high-heat grilling rather than "low and slow", the charcoal might be just what you are looking for.

I believe Pit Boss sells a blend of charcoal and wood pellets. That might be the way to go. I plan to pick up a bag at my local Lowes.

Apparently Tractor Supply sells a mix of Charcoal and Hickory Pellets. My local store doesn't have them in stock but there is one 30 miles away. I've got a chuck roast I want to try them on as soon as it stops raining, maybe 40 days and 40 nights from now.:LOL:https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cowboy-barbeque-charcoal-and-hickory-pellets-54220

My advice is to be careful.

I tried using a blend of 50% Pit Boss Charcoal Blend pellets and 50% PB Mesquite blend pellets. In addition to using them in the hopper, I also used them in two smoke tubes that lasted about 4 hours. While the Traeger produced a thin blue smoke, the smoke tubes produced a thick white smoke. The chuck eye roast and some vegetables cooked in the grill had a weird flavor. I will never try that combination again.

I have no idea whether the Cowboy charcoal blend will be better or worse than the PB combination I used, but you might want to mix the charcoal blend pellets with pellets you know you like and increase the amount of charcoal blend pellets gradually as you gain experience with them.

I have a Tractor Supply about 15 miles away that carries the Cowboy charcoal blend pellets, so I will eagerly await your feedback.

My advice is to be careful.

I tried using a blend of 50% Pit Boss Charcoal Blend pellets and 50% PB Mesquite blend pellets. In addition to using them in the hopper, I also used them in two smoke tubes that lasted about 4 hours. While the Traeger produced a thin blue smoke, the smoke tubes produced a thick white smoke. The chuck eye roast and some vegetables cooked in the grill had a weird flavor. I will never try that combination again.

I have no idea whether the Cowboy charcoal blend will be better or worse than the PB combination I used, but you might want to mix the charcoal blend pellets with pellets you know you like and increase the amount of charcoal blend pellets gradually as you gain experience with them.

I have a Tractor Supply about 15 miles away that carries the Cowboy charcoal blend pellets, so I will eagerly await your feedback.

THNX for the update, I had my fingers on the "submit" button last night with the same idea of a tryout... I didn't do and now I won't. Not worth all the crap to get a semi charcoal smoke 'flavor'... I like the flavor I get now with my chip combo in tubes and normal pellets.

Have to wonder if some of the strong off-profile smoke flavor could have been from the mesquite. That wood has a strong output of smoke flavor and not something that is liked by a lot of people. I used up my charcoal pellets. I had Lumberjack and Pit Boss. I didn't mix them with any othwr pellets and they both seemed fine. In the end I wound up mixing them together.
Might be worth another 'test'. Try not mixing them with any other wood pellet or maybe try a lighter smoke profile wood pellet
I personally don't mind mesquite smoke, but thought it may be worth mentioning seeing many don't like it

Back