Rib help - inconsistent tenderness

Djrobsd

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620 (Costco Edition)
I'm having issues with the tenderness of the ribs grilled on my Traeger. The first batch I made turned out perfect! I've had mixed results since then, with some coming out perfect and others being VERY chewy. One thing that is consistent is that I always get the same ribs - the St. Louis style seasoned ribs at Costco! I am wondering if the quality of the meat Costco is selling is inconsistent, which would really surprise me given that every other meat I buy at Costco including the tri-tip and salmon are very consistent.

Generally speaking, my technique is the 3-2-1 technique I've found on the Traeger app and on different BBQ sites. Is that usually the best, or is that way of doing the ribs overrated? Let me know your thoughts!

I had this problem on one of my first cooks. It turned out that was because the Traeger temperature probe was way off. I bought a third party set of temperature probes (FireBoard 2) and the ribs have been perfect ever since. If you are relying on the Traeger probes that may be why it is turning out that way.

I had this problem on one of my first cooks. It turned out that was because the Traeger temperature probe was way off. I bought a third party set of temperature probes (FireBoard 2) and the ribs have been perfect ever since. If you are relying on the Traeger probes that may be why it is turning out that way.
Wow I'm in envy after looking at it. That's like 1/3 the cost of what I paid for my Traeger though! :) I guess if it makes the food cook perfectly it's worth every penny. Maybe it's time to update my Christmas wish list.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, look into the Ink Bird. it is the next best thing and way cheaper. It doesn't store the cook data like the FireBoard's do but it will give you for accurate probes. As far as ribs go I too usually follow the 3-2-1(ish) but never go by temp. Once I am into the last hour I just use the probe until it goes in with no resistance, then I pull them off.

I guess if it makes the food cook perfectly it's worth every penny. Maybe it's time to update my Christmas wish list.
That's the idea, I've had temp probes ever since the first Maverick brand was out and you cannot BBQ smoke without knowing where your meat IT is or the pit is...

Every single piece of protein is unique. Every single rack of ribs or butt or brisket or chicken etc. etc. you must adjust times and temps to meet the doneness/tenderness required. Stick and stay thermometers are for getting in the ball park. Top of the line instant read thermometers are critical for testing temperatures and as a bonus you can use the probe end as a tenderness tester. It’s a nice stainless steel toothpick. What you will notice is the leaner cuts are closer in disparity because there isn’t much fat content as one of the variables. Also, cuts that are similar in size and thickness will cook more closely than varying cuts. Bbq is part art and part science, but it’s more art.

Back