Help! Racoons attacking my grease bucket

Tommy

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze. Cabela 36" Pro Series Pellet. Weber Mountain Smoker. Argentine Parrilla. Weber Kettle. Coleman Propane Smoker.
Anyone out there having raccoons or other varmints getting into your grease bucket on a regular basis? Solutions anyone?

Problem with raccoons os they are smart. They are also creatures of routine. So once they figure something out, especially when it comes to food it is pretty difficult to break them from using their new source. You may have to remove the grease bucket, plus any other food sources and make sure the area is kept clean without any 'smells' that could attract them. Hot pepper powder can work as well. They use their hands a lot and don't appreciate getting the hot spices on their hands. This obviously doesn't work if you have small children or pets that can access the grill area
You could also look at relocating them, if that is allowed where you live. A live trap works well to catch them. A word of note, they will scream like crazy when caught. So be prepared for that. Definitely check to see if you are allowed to relocate in your area before getting yourself a trap

We occasionally have raccoons visit our deck. They can be quite destructive as they are pretty big, strong and smart.

I solve the problem with the grease bucket by never allowing grease to drip into the bucket. I always have a tray covered in aluminum foil under my cook to catch the drippings. That way I do not have to clean out the grease chute or grease bucket. After the cook, I pull out the tray, remove the greasy foil, toss it in the garbage and install new foil ready for the next cook. Just make sure the raccoons cannot get into your garbage can. A potential raccoon problem is averted.

Yes, raccoons in my area as well. My solution is what @Timmy recommended: store your grease bucket inside the grill.

The only time when it might be an issue is during overnight cooks. So far it has not been a problem, probably because the grease really starts flowing only in the morning.

With 3 Ridgebacks I never have racoons in the yard for some reason. There of LOTS of them in our woods.

With 3 Ridgebacks I never have racoons in the yard for some reason. There of LOTS of them in our woods.
That should keep out all kinds of unwanted visitors both four footed and two footed.

Once you have shot your racoon, the first thing is remove the guts carefully, then make an incision along the.... ;) ;) ;)

Another vote for storing the bucket inside the girll when it cools down.
I never thought of using the inside of the Traeger as a trap. Baiting the inside with the bucket, so clever 🤣😊😁
He is going to be mad when you open the lid. lol

Just don't leave your front shelf set up, if you have one. Raccoons are smart enough and strong enough to open the lid on a Traeger grill.

Somewhat unrelated, I left a Homer bucket of bird seed and peanuts on my deck and it's chewed through! Either 'coons or squirrels were feasting!!

Back