Pro 780 or Ironwood 885 and some Questions

TheHardWay

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the forum and have been considering a new grill. I have it narrowed down to the two grills mentioned in the title of this thread. I'm looking on opinions is the Ironwood is worth the extra $$$. I do like the added features like 500 degree ability, extra insulation, and the little shelf.

Also have a couple of questions....
The WiFire. I understand how it is used in conjunction with the smoker, but am wondering how it works technically. Does the WiFire send out its own WiFi signal or does it need to have an available Wifi signal in/around the house from a service provider? I ask because I live in one of those spots where internet service providers are terrible about high speed service, so I currently only have a Verizon WiFi hotspot for internet.

With regard to the Grill Guide. What exactly is that? Can you download recipes to the Traeger and the smoker will automatically set/change temperatures, smoke, and times? Or is it more of a tutorial that alerts you when you need to manually make changes via the app?
Thanks for the input!

I’m sure others will chime in and know more about it than I do but the extra money was worth it for me based on features you mentioned. I’m just using it now and so far so good. The WIFI I believe goes to Traeger servers then to your device.

Can’t help on grill guides, haven’t looked at them yet.

I do love the WIFI feature, I can be anywhere around house and monitor my cook.

Small features but I like the side shelf, bigger pellet bin, small wheels on legs, hooks for top shelf, and cord hook. The other models may have these features but I haven’t looked. I’m very happy with Ironwood!

Last edited:
I’m sure others will chime in and know more about it than I do but the extra money was worth it for me based on features you mentioned. I’m just using it now and so far so good. The WIFI I believe goes to Traeger servers then to your device.

Can’t help on grill guides, haven’t looked at them yet.

I do love the WIFI feature, I can be anywhere around house and monitor my cook.

Small features but I like the side shelf, bigger pellet bin, small wheels on legs, hooks for top shelf, and cord hook. The other models may have these features but I haven’t looked. I’m very happy with Ironwood!

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 885 today. Put it together, seasoned it, and threw some brats on for my first cook and a late dinner!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Ironwood. That's the one I would have recommended going with depending on funds. How's the grill working on the Verizon hotspot? Were you able to connect it and get it going using it?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Ironwood. That's the one I would have recommended going with depending on funds. How's the grill working on the Verizon hotspot? Were you able to connect it and get it going using it?
I have not messed with the hot spot and WiFire settings yet. Maybe this weekend!

Back