Pellet sensor

Thenn99

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Does anybody use the pellet sensor and how is it. Looks a little complicated to install

Mine came pre-installed. It is not the most accurate thing (like Traeger's temp probes), but I look at it during cooks to give me a rough idea of pellet usage. Just don't let things get too close to zero.

Mine came pre-installed. It is not the most accurate thing (like Traeger's temp probes), but I look at it during cooks to give me a rough idea of pellet usage. Just don't let things get too close to zero.
That's my approach as well. I now have a good idea of when I should refill the hopper. The warnings can be annoying but it is still useful. I tend to focus on what I'm cooking and can easily forget about the pellet level.

Like the OP's Pro 780, my Pro 575 did not come with the sensor I bought one and installed it. A very simple install. I think it is worth it.

I don’t have one. After you get use to the grill, you really don’t kneed one. I know about when to refill it if I’m to busy to check it regularly.

I installed one in my 780 when I first got it. Really easy to install and calibrate. I mean really easy. It alarms when I get to 25% and more times than not it just reminds me to go down and level out the pellets due to some tunneling. I don't think I have ever actually been out of pellets, at least that I can remember.

If I know I am doing a very long cook I top it off before I start. On normal cooks like burgers or a steak I lift the lid and if it's close to empty I top it off. Seems more like one of those unnecessary gimicky things to me.

It may seem gimicky but I run out of pellets once and what a pain in the arrss.

One of these days I'll get around to installing RemE's "pot stirrer". Until then the pellet sensor serves as a warning for the formation of pellet tunnels and letting me know that I have to give the pellets a stir.

Does anybody use the pellet sensor and how is it. Looks a little complicated to install
I check the pellets before each time I use my grill. I keep it close to being full. As long as you do that, you should be ok with anything you cook, even a brisket at 13-14 hours.

It may seem gimicky but I run out of pellets once and what a pain in the arrss.
I never said it wouldn't be a pain in the arrs, but if you can't lift the lid when you start your cook that's on the chef.

I agree with Midwest. It takes nothing more than a couple seconds to check the pellets you lifting the lid. If you don’t need any, great! If you do need to add, you’d likely have to add some anyway when you ran out.
So if you run out, I’d say that’s definitely operator error.
My opinion is gimmicks such as pellet sensors are a waste of money.

Back