Paint peeling

ccasey329

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 757
Hey all,
To start, I love my 575 Pro. That being said, I've just had a less than satisfactory experience with Traeger. I know people in here have had issues with paint peeling on the Traeger Pro 575, but has anybody had customer service tell them they had a grease fire cause it ? I was making chicken wings at 420 for about 30-40 mins when the paint started to peel off my grill, saw it myself. When I called customer service they said I had a grease fire and it caused the peeling? Very disappointing because I bought the brand to NOT have issues like this and I'm getting the opposite. How could a grease fire cause the bottom of the grills paint to peel off? There's 0 damage to my deck.

Has anybody else had any luck resolving issues like this with Traeger?
IMG-5873.jpg
IMG-5871.jpg

Last edited:
I had a paint peeling issue on the back of my T-1300. With a little gentle prodding, I was able to get the grill replaced. In theory, they are under no obligation to do so as the fine print states that paint isn't covered under the warranty. I did also buy some ultra-high heat grill paint for the next time I have any issue, including scratches or whatever.

That is clearly the result of a grease fire inside the cooker. You may not have been aware of it, but that’s clearly what happened. The pictures support their conclusion. I know this disappoints you and you might disagree, but it’s obvious.

I would go get some high heat paint or see if they’d send you some to do a touch up. Sand the area clean and roughen the edges back around the unaffected area and give it a couple/few coats. At least that will help stave off the rusting. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, I'd have to agree that is looking like a grease fire to me, as well. I assume you had the wings directly on the grates?

I assume you had the wings directly on the grates?
I’m a newbie and was going to make wings this week. Should wings not go directly on the grates?

I once used Buffalo Wild Wings sauce on an old grill and found the sauce to be very, very flammable. With that said, are naked wings safe to go directly on the grates?

I’m a newbie and was going to make wings this week. Should wings not go directly on the grates?

I once used Buffalo Wild Wings sauce on an old grill and found the sauce to be very, very flammable. With that said, are naked wings safe to go directly on the grates?

I always put my wings directly on the rack! I usually don't sauce until after I get them off the grill though, but that is just preference.

Sucks on a new grill for sure. But pretty much every grill made would yield the same results from a grease fire.
One thing to make sure is when you place your wings on the grate that you place them over the drip tray. If any of them hang over where the drip tray isnt covering they will drip down to the bottom of the grill and will most definitely ignite. Looks like you had two fires,.o e in the bottom and one in the trough that the drip tray drains into. If you haven't already, make sure your grill is level, or slightly slanted towards the bucket side.
Once you have cleaned up the grill, test that the drip tray system is draining properly right to the bucket. You can test that with some water. It should drain right to the bucket without any pooling.
If you want.to.be extra cautious, put the wings on the top shelf in the Traeger and put a pan on the bottom shelf under it to catch the grease (you can add a bit of water to that pan to ensure no flair-ups.

Last edited:
FWIW after one harrowing experience reverse searing steaks at 500 I don't go above 375-400 and not for long at that. I know Traeger says it's possible but not for me. My Weber Genesis is used for high temps.

FWIW after one harrowing experience reverse searing steaks at 500 I don't go above 375-400 and not for long at that. I know Traeger says it's possible but not for me. My Weber Genesis is used for high temps.
Not to derail the thread, but what happened? I was hoping to use the Tragger for everything, including cooking steaks and getting some of those grill marks.

Not to derail the thread, but what happened? I was hoping to use the Tragger for everything, including cooking steaks and getting some of those grill marks.
If you want to get good grill marks grilling I highly recommend Grill Grates. They amplify the surface temp 100-150 degrees. They work.

I cooked a few steaks at 225 then tried reverse searing as per recipe and the dripping in the grease pan caught fire. I was able to quench it with a spray bottle. Fortunately , it didn't last long enough to do damage. One problem is no matter how you try to flatten the drip tray or foil the grease doesn't all flow into the trough and the bucket. And if the grill isn't level that makes it worse as the grease will pool up in the tray or trough

I cooked a few steaks at 225 then tried reverse searing as per recipe and the dripping in the grease pan caught fire. I was able to quench it with a spray bottle. Fortunately , it didn't last long enough to do damage. One problem is no matter how you try to flatten the drip tray or foil the grease doesn't all flow into the trough and the bucket. And if the grill isn't level that makes it worse as the grease will pool up in the tray or trough
Literally no way enough grease rendered from steaks at 225 to create fire. Operator error. Lack of cleaning.

Back