Overnight Brisket

Update on my overnight brisket.
Laid it on my T grill at 9pm last night. Woke up around 230am to take a leak and heard the alarm going off to my InkBird. 2 of the 3 probes showing 160+. Pulled it off to wrap. I had butcher paper but thought it was too small to wrap the brisket so I used the heavy duty foil instead. Laid back on the T grill with the 3 probes inside. Back to bed around 330. Woke up at 6. Temps ranging from 194-201. Pulled it off the T when last probe hit 203. That was at 730am this morning. It’s wrapped (towel) and in the cooler resting Right now. This seems kinda fast? But the temps were between 200-205 when I wrapped and laid to rest. Total time before wrapping 11 hours. Does this sound about right?

DC2723CC-4732-4558-9011-BB8F3463F027.jpeg2E520324-99E6-4EEE-AC77-0032F6B92AF0.jpeg4083AA9B-34FF-4A90-AD3B-D5ABB0F27947.jpeg
My results from overnight brisket. I thought it came out good. Maybe a little over cooked? Still,has juice. This is my second time smoking a brisket. And second time I get a lot of the fat that I have to shave off. Am I doing something wrong here? Or this is normal? also I think my bark isn’t quite there? Do I need to add more rub for the bark?
75029011-C57D-4AC1-AE13-0716A9B88655.jpeg

This seems kinda fast? But the temps were between 200-205 when I wrapped and laid to rest. Total time before wrapping 11 hours. Does this sound about right?

That sounds way too fast for a 200° pit temp, however, there are guys who "fast cook" their briskets at 275° the whole time and they don't come out over cooked or dry.
Are you sure your PIT TEMP was constant? Were your meat probes deep enough to the center?
There is such a thing as a bad cut of meat.

That sounds way too fast for a 200° pit temp, however, there are guys who "fast cook" their briskets at 275° the whole time and they don't come out over cooked or dry.
Are you sure your PIT TEMP was constant? Were your meat probes deep enough to the center?
I totally agree. This sounds like a 275 cook if accurate on the probe test. It is really hard to get a brisket to probe at 203 when the heat source is 200. It will take an eternity. If it was tough that often represents not done rather than over done. It should wiggle like a jello mold.

I also concur on the particular cut. You can ruin a great piece of meat but it’s real hard to make a mediocre one great. Sometimes you just get a mediocre one. When selecting a brisket, fat is your friend. Not necessarily big amounts of hard fat, which you’re gonna get anyway, but inter muscular fat. It should be loose and floppy. I also go for the thickest flat I can find to help mitigate drying in that area. definitely pick them up in the market and handle them. You may get some looks, but it’s worth it. 😜

keep at it and learning as you go. Nobody started out as Aaron Franklin, even Aaron Franklin.

The inside temp of my grill was between 220-270. Left side was highest at around 270. I placed The brisket to the right side knowing the left side would be higher. I use 3 temp probes to check inside grill temp. I used 3 meat probes for interior temp. That’s why I was surprised when I got up 230am and heard the InkBird alarm. The brisket was cooked. Seemed like more fat than usual in the middle of the brisket. I also probed with my brand new Thermapen One. I set the T temp at 220, not 200.

The inside temp of my grill was between 220-270. Left side was highest at around 270. I placed The brisket to the right side knowing the left side would be higher. I use 3 temp probes to check inside grill temp. I used 3 meat probes for interior temp. That’s why I was surprised when I got up 230am and heard the InkBird alarm. The brisket was cooked. Seemed like more fat than usual in the middle of the brisket. I also probed with my brand new Thermapen One. I set the T temp at 220, not 200.

You are a victim of some serious hot spots in your grill it sounds like. A 50° range? wow.
So these guys that do their brisket at 275 are getting them done in the same day, just about the same as you, 11-12 hours...

My brisket half froze in the wrong place in my frig... but that was no challenge for my Dick!!! Thanks to GrillMeister
My Dick went right thru that fat and I dusted with Kinders Blend and Prime Steak mixed... VAC PAC and sitting in frig for tonight

20220521_103605.jpg

20220521_103616.jpg

Hi everyone. I’m looking to do a brisket next weekend but I have no need to cook an entire Costco brisket, 11-14 pounds.is there a best way to cut it in half so I can make a smaller piece or is that not advised?
TIA

Hi everyone. I’m looking to do a brisket next weekend but I have no need to cook an entire Costco brisket, 11-14 pounds.is there a best way to cut it in half so I can make a smaller piece or is that not advised?
TIA
I whole heartedly endorse cooking a whole packer whole especially if you are not an expert. The larger mass provides a wider window for success. Remember the key is IT of the thick part of the flat @200-205, but even more important is for the protein to probe like butter. I am a firm believer in using a foil wrap for beginners as well. This also widens your window for success. It captures and reserves the moisture rendered during the cook giving you the greatest probability for moist beef. I wrap anywhere from 160-180. Really just looking to get good smoke and set the rub with a well developed bark. The bark will soften some in the foil but that is far less important than the overall moisture and quality of the cooked brisket. The finished product should jiggle like a jello mold when dropped on the cutting board or when prodded with your finger. You will know it when you see it. Good luck!

Update on my overnight brisket.
Laid it on my T grill at 9pm last night. Woke up around 230am to take a leak and heard the alarm going off to my InkBird. 2 of the 3 probes showing 160+. Pulled it off to wrap. I had butcher paper but thought it was too small to wrap the brisket so I used the heavy duty foil instead. Laid back on the T grill with the 3 probes inside. Back to bed around 330. Woke up at 6. Temps ranging from 194-201. Pulled it off the T when last probe hit 203. That was at 730am this morning. It’s wrapped (towel) and in the cooler resting Right now. This seems kinda fast? But the temps were between 200-205 when I wrapped and laid to rest. Total time before wrapping 11 hours. Does this sound about right?
Yes sounds about right.

You are a victim of some serious hot spots in your grill it sounds like. A 50° range? wow.
So these guys that do their brisket at 275 are getting them done in the same day, just about the same as you, 11-12 hours...
The left side has always been the issue with my C885. I’m not sure why it’s always 50d higher than the middle/right side. The chimney is on the left side. I don’t know if that is the cause of the higher temp. It is frustrating but I’ve gotten use to smoking on it. My last brisket I smoked took 21 hours. I smoked 2 17lb briskets then. I made some Texas style chili with some chunks of my smoked brisket. Second time. I used the Meat Church season chili mix.
My next smoke will be this weekend. Pork shoulder. Three of them. 10lb ea. I’m hoping to start in the morning and finish by dinner time. I’ll probably prepare and season the shoulders the night before.
I borrowed a bacon wrapped meat loaf recipe from one of my coworkers. I will have to try this recipe out soon. Haven’t done a smoked meat loaf. I’m wondering if I should use my smoke tube when I do?

The left side has always been the issue with my C885. I’m not sure why it’s always 50d higher than the middle/right side. The chimney is on the left side. I don’t know if that is the cause of the higher temp. It is frustrating but I’ve gotten use to smoking on it. My last brisket I smoked took 21 hours. I smoked 2 17lb briskets then. I made some Texas style chili with some chunks of my smoked brisket. Second time. I used the Meat Church season chili mix.
My next smoke will be this weekend. Pork shoulder. Three of them. 10lb ea. I’m hoping to start in the morning and finish by dinner time. I’ll probably prepare and season the shoulders the night before.
I borrowed a bacon wrapped meat loaf recipe from one of my coworkers. I will have to try this recipe out soon. Haven’t done a smoked meat loaf. I’m wondering if I should use my smoke tube when I do?

Sounds to me you could use a baffle of some sort. I made one and it works awesome on evening out the heat.
I don't know what the inside of a C 885 looks like but anything to block a bit of fan blow to the left would be the thing to at least "try"

Back