Orion Cooker.....

CMTiger

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 575 / Weber Genesis / Weber 28” Griddle / Orion Cooker
Anyone have any experience with these? My dad got one like a decade or so ago as some sort of vendor gift and used it once. I acquired it a year or two ago and have used it on occasion with success. It was my first foray into "smoking" or really anything away from my Weber Genesis gas grill. It's......different.

Attachments

• Ribs 1.jpg
    Ribs 1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Ribs 2.jpg
    Ribs 2.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 45
  • RIbs 3.jpg
    RIbs 3.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Ribs 4.jpg
    Ribs 4.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 44
If you google "Orion Cooker Forum", you will find all sorts of comments in other BBQ forums from days gone by from about 11-15 years ago.

It seems the consensus it, they cook real fast, so they are not much of a low-n-slow smoker.

No.....not low and slow at all. I did three racks of ribs in a little over an hour. 20 pound turkey in around two hours. Definitely not smoking in any sort of traditional sense. Interesting little cooker and the results are pretty good.....no bark or smoke ring to speak of but tender meat

I see them of rom time to time, they seem to have a very loyal following. The people I've talked to (that have them) love them. One of the guys we camp with every year has one and cooked pulled pork for the group every summer. He swore by it, and turned out some darn fine Q time after time.
Tim

It uses an entire bag of charcoal almost. So you’re cooking for awhile. Meaning you can cook some chicken wings or whatever but you kinda want to be really cooking some meat when you want to use it.

it would be solid for camping though for sure. Lightweight and fast.

You also cook of times. Light it and start counting.

I've seen these when tailgating at Patriots games. People that have them seem to love them. I'm not a huge charcoal fan. #GoPats

Back