New Treager

Jhenault

Reaction score
Grill
Pro series 34
I bought an Ironwood 885 today because I was planning to smoke some pigs feet, pork chops and chicken drums on my treager pro series 34. I had all the prep work done and I went to start my smoker and the fan kept slowing down and picking up and finally it died. I had replaced the fan 4 years ago. This may have been the problem I described in my last post.
So after buying the Ironwood and going through the seasoning of the smoker I did smoke all items I described at the beginning.
The temp held pretty well but I'll know better this week when I smoke my brisket and boston butt, I have a thermometer that reads internal temp and ambient temp inside the smoker.

I hope you enjoy your new Ironwood as much as I do mine. As long as you rely on your 3rd party thermometer to check cook temp and internal temp you should do just fine. Although my cook temp is always lower than the controller setpoint, I find that the cook temperature holds fairly well, at least as long as I keep the lid closed. It is my understanding that Traeger does not attempt to hold a precise temperature to more represent the temperature variability you might see in an offset smoker.

Back