New guy with Pro22

groho

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 22
Couldn't pass up a bargain on a new Pro22 so I took the plunge and purchased it for myself for Christmas. I grill constantly, but needed a slow cooker/smoker. So far, cooked chicken breasts and salmon. Cons, honestly, not impressed but I'm calling it a learning curve; not enough smoke and more ash than I'd like. Pro, consistent low heat, and even heat throughout. For my third go at it, doin ribs following the 3-2-1 rule at 225 using apple cider sprits and my personal bbq sauce. I picked up a smoker tube to promote the smoke, so far, so good.

16093759365506486592603337642607.jpg

So far, so good...

Lookin good! Enjoy!!

Immediate impression after dinner. Flavor was amazing, I think that was directly due to the smoke tube. Very nice easy smoke flavor. The distinctive difference between my grill and traeger is (both are fall off the bone) - first, cook time, 3 hrs vs 6 hrs, and second, fat rendering. The fat cooks away on the grill and leaves meat, where traeger did not; way too much fat left after 6 hrs of cooking. I will increase my temp to 250 to see if that cooks the fat away like the grill does. Over all, I'll give it a 7 out if 10, there's room for improvement. If I can get the fat to cook off, it will jump to a 9 out of 10.

What did you wrap it in? Foil or paper?

I got my Pro Series 22 in November 2017, moving up from the Baby Traeger I had jumped into the pellet-smoker-world for.
I’m approaching 500 cooks on the 22...everything from full packer briskets to extraordinary St. Louis-cut ribs, to reverse-sear Wagyu New York Strip steaks, to super-crisp-skinned chicken legs, to eggs that became Deviled, and to (with the help of an Amaz’n Smoker tube) multiple cheeses and a couple of large batches of water (a WOW factor when said Traeger’d water is frozen into ice cubes and used to chill Bloody Mary’s!).
Very few operational issues, my Pro Series 22 has been an absolute trooper, creating wonderful meals in exterior temps from 22*F to 85*F+, keeping me lowly-and-slowly-and-happily busy in my kinda retirement while getting to know a number of my downwind neighbors.
For me, a bulletproof friend.
There is a remarkable depth of experience on this site.
Welcome.

Last edited:
What did you wrap it in? Foil or paper?
Foil for two hours. I noticed while in foil the rack was slow to steam, not until 1.5 hr+ of that 2 hrs did it start to expand in the pooch. Im thinking if I increase the temp from 225 to 250 during the foil process it should cook off that fat. Then bring it back down to 225 for the open and finish. I've been cooking my ribs for years in foil after an overnight rub. The pooch should expand and seal in the flavor and cook off that fat. I will say the bbq rib sandwich today wasn't shabby!

Try this, start low, like 180f for an hour then up to 200 to 225f, at the 3 hr mark, wrap and add a little liquid of your choice, up temp to 250f. Usually when i unwrap its hard to get them sauced and back on the grill.
20201219_173800.jpg
i had a heck of a time after saucing these to get the back on the grill.

Back