My 1st pulled pork was not well received

I am new to Traeger and smoking. I made my first pulled today. My wife’s favorite pulled pork is from a restaurant called bandannas. I followed the Traeger app recipe and it was very tender, the bone pulled right out but she was disappointed and said it tasted more like a roast but not as good as the restaurants. Any ideas what they might do differently or any tips? Remember I am new to all this so I may not know all the “lingo”. Thanks
What temp did you use? I am not positive, but does that IT probe the Traeger version? If so, do yourself a favor and get an Inkbird or Fireboard to monitor temps as the Traeger probes are "less than accurate". I love my InkBird IBBQ-4T, and the pork I did this weekend was first injected with Butcher's Open Pit (some don't like to inject), and rubbed down with Honey Stinger rub about 4 hours before it was put on the Traeger.

It was on for about 18 hours, all @ 225 w/ SuperSmoke. I also made both a KC style and SC vinegar-based finishing sauce. When it hit the stall at 165 (about 9 hours into the cook), I put it in an aluminum foil tray, wrapped with foil and put in about a cup of apple cider.

You'll find lots of recipes, opinions etc., but it's always tough to make your own exactly like your favorite restaurant. Change a couple of things up next time and see if the taste changes to your (and her) liking, tweaking it each time until you get what you'd like.

Good luck and welcome!

Did you apply seasoning rub? Generously? I’ve done 2 sessions with pork shoulders. Bone in and out. 2 & 3 at a time. Kalua style and with Meat Church seasoning. Also did just salt & pepper. My own seasoning rub mix. Wrapped and unwrapped. We liked the wrap better. Remember there is no “perfect” pulled pork, brisket or whatever your grilling. Every smoke session is a little different than last. I don’t get those who ask “what is the perfect brisket” or “my pulled pork was okay, so what can I do to make it perfect?” What is perfect? For most of us we are learning and experimenting everytime we smoke. Enjoy the ride.

I am new to Traeger and smoking. I made my first pulled today. My wife’s favorite pulled pork is from a restaurant called bandannas. I followed the Traeger app recipe and it was very tender, the bone pulled right out but she was disappointed and said it tasted more like a roast but not as good as the restaurants. Any ideas what they might do differently or any tips? Remember I am new to all this so I may not know all the “lingo”. Thanks
Get a new wife!

My first pork butt on the Traeger was NOT received well by ME. Since then, I have fined tuned it, smoking at 220 for 22 hours with a drip pan full of water underneath the butts serving 2 purposes. 1st, to provide moisture through out the cook and send to capture the immense amount of fat that will render out. My Traeger Pulled Pork is just as good as my Big Green Egg Pulled pork (which is about 3,000 lbs by now). I do not use a pan nor do I wrap it till it is finished.
So do you put the butt on the middle shelf then or top? I have a timberline 1300. With the drip pan do you fill it halfway with water or more or less

Bandanas also has real wood smokers... you will NEVER reproduce that flavor.

Hickory Pellets, and Smoke Tubes will add a more smokey flavor, which might be what your wife is looking for.
How many smoke tubes do you need. I just purchased one from Amazon. Also where do you place it on the grill? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

How many smoke tubes do you need. I just purchased one from Amazon. Also where do you place it on the grill? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

You can get a big one, but meat will only really absorb smoke for about 3 hours, so a shorty should do fine. I have both sizes but have been using the shorty for all smoke times these days.

My 2 cents is to wrap in a foil pan. This captures the seasoned juices. Take the rendered juice and run through a fat separator and reincorporate Tipton into the pork when pulled. It’s pure flavor. Low and slow or hot and fast, it makes no discernible difference.

Back