More trawler coating problems

cbs9266

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Fremont
I used my Fremont grill 3 times and the barrel coating pealed. Called reacher snd after 45 minutes they agreed to send a ne barrel. 10 .days later got it with very poor instructions on how to replace. Completed the barrel replacement in 2 1/2 hours and discovered they sent the wrong barrel. It was 3/4 inch too large. Called again waited on
Line. After a long wait and with no remorse they agreed to send the correct barrel requiring me to again disassemble and reassemble again. No offer to replace the entire grill and no apologies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 550
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 59
Did you have a bad grease fire?
Sure looks like a fire to me. Probably gonna have one sooner or later anyway.

I would have just kept using the original unit. Maybe sanded it and applied some high heat paint. Use the new box when it was no longer tenable. Likely would be fine with the original for many years.

There was no fire. What it looks like is a bad finish job and no I have no interest in sanding and refinishing a new grill that was poorly manufactured. That is ridiculous and would only make sense to someone working for Traeger. Traeger must know they have a problem and are resisting the cost of replacements.

There was no fire. What it looks like is a bad finish job and no I have no interest in sanding and refinishing a new grill that was poorly manufactured. That is ridiculous and would only make sense to someone working for Traeger. Traeger must know they have a problem and are resisting the cost of replacements.

Well, if you have a grease fire inside the cooker, it will heat up the metal and cause the paint to fail. Ironically when that happens, and it does, it will look very close to what you posted. Sometimes people have a fire below the grease tray and never even realize they’ve had one because we don’t monitor the unit 100% of the time.

What they(Traeger) suspect is that many people have fires, either don’t realize they’ve had a fire or deny it and then want a new product to replace their fire damaged one. I’m not saying that this is definitely what has happened because how would I know. I will say the manufacturers including many others have to determine what happened and why. If they suspect or believe the issue is user error in any way, they are a bit reluctant to just hand over parts at their expense. Keep in mind they see a lot of information and feedback and are in a pretty solid position to extrapolate what has occurred based upon their extensive information and experience.

It’s a bit cynical to believe they are deliberately not covering an issue they know would be theirs. It’s more reasonable to believe they actually feel the user error is responsible and they will still probably cover the issue even though if they are correct, they are not obligated to do so. You’d be surprised at what BS stories they probably hear. I’m not suggesting you are bs ing anyone, but try to look at this from a perspective other than your own and you might gain a measure of patience. Anyway, hopefully they will get you the stuff you desire and you get cooking again. 👍🏻

You are a very good apologist for Traeger you should work in their public affairs department. I will say again. There was no fire. It was used for meat only once and fish twice. And I have had numerous drills and smokers over the years and had intense flames but never resulted in the finish pealing off. If Traeger grills can’t take the heat that results from reasonable use they need to change how they are made.

You are a very good apologist for Traeger you should work in their public affairs department. I will say again. There was no fire. It was used for meat only once and fish twice. And I have had numerous drills and smokers over the years and had intense flames but never resulted in the finish pealing off. If Traeger grills can’t take the heat that results from reasonable use they need to change how they are made.
Hey, no problem. I’m sure Trawler will take care of you. Just offering some perspective that you obviously aren’t interested in hearing. You carry on. Enjoy your drills. I’d cook on those numerous good ones you gots. 😜

Take it back to Costco. They'll either give you your money back or will give you a new one.

When Costco contracts with companies like Traeger to produce a Costco specific brand like Fremont, they specify a target price point. In order to meet that price point, Traeger may alter the manufacturing specifications. I believe my Ironwood 885 (which costs more than double the Fremont price) has a powder coated finish rather than a less expensive painted finish, so it should be more durable.

Before purchasing my Ironwood, I looked at the Fremont and Silverton grill at my local Costco. There were some features I liked and the price was enticing, but ultimately I decided to go with the more expensive Ironwood.

Take your Fremont back to Costco for a refund and then go spend $1400 on an Ironwood 650. Or do as has been suggested and sand the metal and apply heat resistant paint like Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra which is supposed to protect up to 1200 F. That will cost you around $12. It is your choice, but I know which choice I would make if I were in your situation.

So glad I went with a Recteq. All stainless steel no rust issues and solid build quality.

I used my Fremont grill 3 times and the barrel coating pealed. Called reacher snd after 45 minutes they agreed to send a ne barrel. 10 .days later got it with very poor instructions on how to replace. Completed the barrel replacement in 2 1/2 hours and discovered they sent the wrong barrel. It was 3/4 inch too large. Called again waited on
Line. After a long wait and with no remorse they agreed to send the correct barrel requiring me to again disassemble and reassemble again. No offer to replace the entire grill and no apologies.

Latest Discussions

Back