meat church seasonings

Catman3516

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger pro34
hey yall , my local grocery store just started carrying 5 meat church seasonings. what do yall reccomend for diff reasons?

I like Holy Gospel probably the best on chicken and Turkey.
Holy Cow on burgers and ok on steaks.
Honey hog on ribs.
Regular gospel is also good but I prefer the hokey gospel.

I haven’t tried the others but I’d like to at some point

I have not used any of the Meat Church rubs, but when purchasing any rub or sauce, I always read the ingredient list carefully. The ingredients should be listed in order of descending concentration, so look to see which ingredients are listed first as they will provide the predominant flavor.

For example Holy Gospel lists sugar as the first ingredient, just ahead of salt. Further down the list, it includes dextrose which is a simple sugar derived from grain that is chemically identical to glucose, so this rub is going to have a fair amount of sweetness. The issue is that the ingredient list includes "spices including paprika". The ingredient list is identical to Gospel, but we know that Holy Gospel is supposed to be a mix (but not 50/50) of Gospel and Holy Cow. Holy Cow contains a fair amount of pepper as you can see it in the mix, but it is not specifically listed on either the Holy Cow or Holy Gospel ingredient list.

I use Holy Cow, Holy Gospel, Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot. The honeys for ribs and butt and holys for beef. Probably other brands out there that are as good,maybe better but these work for me

Honey Hog is my go to for ribs and pulled pork. The new one, Texas Sugar is also good.
Texas Sugar sounds interesting. I'll be looking for it at my local BBQ store.

Holy Cow was my go-to for burgers until Honey Bacon BBQ came out. Holy Cow, Gospel and/or Holy Gospel for brisket. Voodoo is good on chicken or turkey. Honey Hog or Honey Hog Hot on pork. I just picked up Texas Sugar today. Haven’t cooked with it yet but tastes like a mix of Voodoo and Honey Hot Hot. The Fajita one is also good on chicken, beef, veggies. The Pecan one has been sitting in my cabinet for a while. Throw a few uncooked beans in the bottles to stop it from caking up. Rice works too but the beans won’t fall out through the shaker.

My favorite is Holy Voodoo, particularly on ribs. If you have watched Pitman's videos, he says he was surprised at its popularity because it is salt forward. He said he created Texas Sugar as a more balanced rub as a result. I am waiting for Texas Sugar to become available locally so I can try it.

I've had good results using Holy Voodoo on chicken, turkey, ribs and pork butts.

Deez Nuts is great on salmon. I just did beef short ribs with Holy Cow and they came out great also. Also love the Honey Hog and the Honey Bacon on ribs and pork butt.

Holy Cow, Honey Hog Hot, VooDoo, Texas Sugar, Honey Bacon...Love em all but i can't say enough about holy cow on brisket. its ridiculously good

Back