Ironwood 885 sleep mode

I'm pretty confident that the Wi-Fi status is not relevant to random sleep episodes. Shutdown is a deliberate two step process in the app, choose shutdown, then slide down to complete the command.

I vote for power glitch.
isn't shutdown and sleep mode two different settings?

isn't shutdown and sleep mode two different settings?
No, Shutdown completes with the grill going to "Sleep". The controller basically powers off after a set time, but is still powered by the main switch and is "sleeping".

The only other way to make the grill sleep is to manually turn off the controller (which if the grill is running, will first initiate shutdown cycle) or to turn off the main power switch and then back on.

At some point I will test this glitch theory out by briefly unplugging the running grill for a second to see how it responds.

I thought of getting a UPS but they have to be outside for the Traeger and they are not recommended for that. You need to get something ruggedized like a Jackery Power Station.

My experience definitely could have been a power glitch. I need to get a small UPS before my next overnight cook. I have two UPS units in the house to prevent damage to our electronics.
I haven’t checked to see how much current the 1300 draws, but that small dc motor + fan couldn’t be much..
My Timberline draws under 100W at peak use during ignition, and around 14W while cooking, so yeah, low power consumption.

I thought of getting a UPS but they have to be outside for the Traeger and they are not recommended for that. You need to get something ruggedized like a Jackery Power Station.
I keep my little UPS out of the elements, and run an extension cord to the grill for long cooks.

I think all Traegers should be run from a UPS (if you can keep it protected from the elements) or a rugged power station like the Jackery. Even a momentary power glitch will shut them down and this will be missed if we are not monitoring it. I have UPS's for all my indoor electronics and so the only way I know that we had a power glitch is by the clock on the oven/microwave blinking. Even if we notice it, Traeger sudden shutdowns are problematic and have to be restarted cautiously to avoid pellet buildup in the firebox. A UPS/power station eliminates this issue.

All of my grills, smokers, and accessories are out of the elements except my big offset, so a small UPS will work just fine.

If you do not have a cold smoker installed , one could fit the UPS under the shelf ( in the case of a T1300) on the left….

Back