Ironwood 885 sleep mode

chrisse

Reaction score
Grill
Trager Ironwood 885
I have a new Ironwood 885. Yesterday I wanted to smoke a brisket. After the smoker ran for some time, it switched to sleep mode. Therefore, the fire went out and the unit cooled down. This happened without any information to me via the WIFIRE app. So a reasonable smoking is not possible. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Danke dir!

No, there was no power glitch. I have absolute no idea why the sleep mode started. but so it’s no possible „to set and forget“ ...

Hmmm. That's the only reason I can think of for the Ironwood to reset in the middle of a cook. I've done many overnight cooks without issue, but I use a small UPS in order to sleep better knowing that a power glitch won't reset my Ironwood 885.

Unfortunately, this happened not only once. When I wanted to keep grilled food warm today, the device switched back to sleep mode completely abruptly. There was no power failure. I really have no idea what is going on.

Which UPS are you using? As a contingency plan that would be worth considering.

Unfortunately, this happened not only once. When I wanted to keep grilled food warm today, the device switched back to sleep mode completely abruptly. There was no power failure. I really have no idea what is going on.

Which UPS are you using? As a contingency plan that would be worth considering.
I have an inexpensive 650va. Something like this should be sufficient.

Thank you. I'll get a USV as a backup.

Regarding the sleep mode, I have contacted the support. Let's see what they say.

I agree about a power glitch. Do be sure that the power cord is firmly plugged into the grill.

As mentioned, many of us use a small UPS for long cooks as insurance.

I have a new Ironwood 885. Yesterday I wanted to smoke a brisket. After the smoker ran for some time, it switched to sleep mode. Therefore, the fire went out and the unit cooled down. This happened without any information to me via the WIFIRE app. So a reasonable smoking is not possible. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Same thing just happened to me. I lost an hour and 1/2 cook time. Treager support could not identify the problem.

I don’t know if it will do it again…

i was able to solve the problem by stabilizing the internet connection. i believe that turning it off is a safety mechanism when you have the smoker connected to the wifi and this connection is lost.

i was able to solve the problem by stabilizing the internet connection. i believe that turning it off is a safety mechanism when you have the smoker connected to the wifi and this connection is lost.
I don't think that dropping WiFi connection will shutdown the grill, I have had my grill drop the connection multiple times during a long cook and never had it shut down.

My 780 has lost connection and the grill kept cooking. There is a poster here that has two Ironwoods that won’t connect at all.

My Timberline went into sleep mode a few months ago during a cook, and I just chalked it up to an electrical “glitch” (which is common where I live). But, looking back, I had made a few programming changes to my router, and of course, as soon as you hit save, the router reboots, and all the connections drop.

After reading this, I’m pretty sure that the connection drop is what caused it to go into sleep mode…

I don’t know if it matters, but if I remember correctly, mine shut down during ignition or preheat cycle.

I'm pretty confident that the Wi-Fi status is not relevant to random sleep episodes. Shutdown is a deliberate two step process in the app, choose shutdown, then slide down to complete the command.

I vote for power glitch.

I'm pretty confident that the Wi-Fi status is not relevant to random sleep episodes. Shutdown is a deliberate two step process in the app, choose shutdown, then slide down to complete the command.

I vote for power glitch.
My experience definitely could have been a power glitch. I need to get a small UPS before my next overnight cook. I have two UPS units in the house to prevent damage to our electronics.
I haven’t checked to see how much current the 1300 draws, but that small dc motor + fan couldn’t be much..

Back