Ironwood 550 first smoke

rickorton

Reaction score
Just bought the Ironwood 650 and was stoked to try it out and get smoking. Tried the 3-2-1 baby backs. First 3 hours were supposed to be at 180, then 225 the rest of the way. The 650 couldn’t hold 180 at all. Got to 161 and stayed there for the first hour and a half. Never opened the door. I tinkered with the temp setting to see if I could warm it up and then control it from there. It needed 230 just to climb above 170.
Come to find out that at the 230 setting, it holds 230 just fine. Anything below that, even 225, it will hold a temp 20 to 30 degrees less than the setting. I feel like that’s the sweet spot for smoking and on a convenient smoker like the Traeger I’d expect it to at least try to get back to the set temp.
Anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Traeger is sending a new induction fan but this thing is brand new so I don’t know if that’s gonna do anything. I’m bummed with the first execution after the initial excitement of using it.

Just bought the Ironwood 650 and was stoked to try it out and get smoking. Tried the 3-2-1 baby backs. First 3 hours were supposed to be at 180, then 225 the rest of the way. The 650 couldn’t hold 180 at all. Got to 161 and stayed there for the first hour and a half. Never opened the door. I tinkered with the temp setting to see if I could warm it up and then control it from there. It needed 230 just to climb above 170.
Come to find out that at the 230 setting, it holds 230 just fine. Anything below that, even 225, it will hold a temp 20 to 30 degrees less than the setting. I feel like that’s the sweet spot for smoking and on a convenient smoker like the Traeger I’d expect it to at least try to get back to the set temp.
Anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Traeger is sending a new induction fan but this thing is brand new so I don’t know if that’s gonna do anything. I’m bummed with the first execution after the initial excitement of using it.
Same with my I had set it to 225 and it did not go higher than 160 after 45 minutes I have raised the temperature to 250 and it stays nice. It is not the induction fan, i think something software. We are waiting for an update.

I am having the same issues!!
Timberline 850
Forced software update in the summer (2020) and will not hold 225. It acts the exact same as the initial post here!

THIS IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM!

I also could not connect Wi-Fi.
Today for the first time I could connect.
fyi, I have not used my grill for a while.
I do feel the Wi-Fi issue was an app problem. Although when I connected today there was a forced update on my Timberline. 😬

Last edited:
Back