I'm trying a smoke stack MOD to encourage better convection (DEBUNKED)

Slimpicker

⚒️ MODERATOR
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
UPDATED, MOD is "debunked"... Temp swings on long cooks

Had some left over sheet SS from my baffle build, I think it's kinda self explanatory, eh??
Don't just want heat and smoke to flow free out of the grill... And it's completely removable for when it gets in the way of a cook.

20210418_165835.jpg

20210418_165926.jpg

20210418_165929.jpg

I'm watchin to see how it works!

I'm watchin to see how it works!

Well, not sure I'm gonna notice results as an outside observer, but if Ironwoods and Timberlines can exit their heat and smoke out the bottom, I have NO PROBLEM baffling some of that bung hole stack that makes everything of "smoke" value go right out the grill. I've had my "hood" turned down to flush with the stack since day 3 of owning this thing... I've seen NO negative affects from that.

I'll keep this updated

Well, not sure I'm gonna notice results as an outside observer, but if Ironwoods and Timberlines can exit their heat and smoke out the bottom, I have NO PROBLEM baffling some of that bung hole stack that makes everything of "smoke" value go right out the grill. I've had my "hood" turned down to flush with the stack since day 3 of owning this thing... I've seen NO negative affects from that.

I'll keep this updated
Had some left over sheet SS from my baffle build, I think it's kinda self explanatory, eh??
Don't just want heat and smoke to flow free out of the grill... And it's completely removable for when it gets in the way of a cook.

View attachment 5185

View attachment 5186

View attachment 5187

Cool. It reminds me of something I saw at Pellet Grill accessories.

1618878557077.png

curious to see if you notice any difference. maybe on the top shelf it'll be more obvious?

curious to see if you notice any difference. maybe on the top shelf it'll be more obvious?

Well, like I kinda said, it probably makes a difference in the convection inside, but I'm not sure I'll "see" it in any cook or Temp....
For example, imagine if I turned that piece upside down, it would actually TRAP more heat and smoke and direct it out of the grill... so I'm confident on that level that it (as I put it in the title) encourages at least a little more convection circulation before being forced out the grill... (even tho the grill is being fed by a fan and the grill pressure makes it escape anyway)

I might in fact try a few things on the TOP shelf just to see if that cook at any different rate than the main grate

This kind of makes sense
If you look at Aaron Franklin's pits his stack height is at grill height on the opposite side of the firebox. In his book he shows altering an existing grill stack by extending the pipe inside of the pit to just above the grill level.
That all makes perfect sense.

Well, like I kinda said, it probably makes a difference in the convection inside, but I'm not sure I'll "see" it in any cook or Temp....
For example, imagine if I turned that piece upside down, it would actually TRAP more heat and smoke and direct it out of the grill... so I'm confident on that level that it (as I put it in the title) encourages at least a little more convection circulation before being forced out the grill... (even tho the grill is being fed by a fan and the grill pressure makes it escape anyway)

I might in fact try a few things on the TOP shelf just to see if that cook at any different rate than the main grate
do toll house cookies, i think they're the easiest thing for finding hot spots.

plus you get cookies.

plus you get cookies.

Oh, I love me some Toll House Cookies.

I'm now having to go to my local HEB (you know the place Timmy & Slim wish they had in their hoods) and pickup some tubes of that cookie just for chits & giggles. 🤣

Oh, I love me some Toll House Cookies.

I'm now having to go to my local HEB (you know the place Timmy & Slim wish they had in their hoods) and pickup some tubes of that cookie just for chits & giggles. 🤣
it's the best thing to throw on the grill after dinner is done.

:D

View attachment 5185

View attachment 5186

View attachment 5187

plus you get cookies.
Traeger could improve the air flow distribution on the Pro line.
One idea that comes to mind as I see some of the mods being tried is to connect like a 4 inch SS pipe or duct to the smoke chimney and run it left to right and capped at the end.
This pipe would have slots along the length evenly located to force the air to enter the pipe at the top of the grill not on the side. The pipe doesn't need to be thick, just sheet metal. The holes/slots would need to be carefully sized to have even distribution. This way the air would wrap around flowing upwards around the drip tray and grate.
By the time this is done may as well get the next level smoker...
This would be for someone that has a lot of patience... :)

Traeger could improve the air flow distribution on the Pro line.
One idea that comes to mind as I see some of the mods being tried is to connect like a 4 inch SS pipe or duct to the smoke chimney and run it left to right and capped at the end.
This pipe would have slots along the length evenly located to force the air to enter the pipe at the top of the grill not on the side. The pipe doesn't need to be thick, just sheet metal. The holes/slots would need to be carefully sized to have even distribution. This way the air would wrap around flowing upwards around the drip tray and grate.
By the time this is done may as well get the next level smoker...
This would be for someone that has a lot of patience... :)
i measured and still picked up the wrong sized exhaust pipe. today i was at the local big box and did notice some hvac that may work for a similar design.

won't be expensive.

my main goal is to keep it as high and out of the way as i'd want it to keep my upper shelf useable.

we'lll see.

to be continued...

i measured and still picked up the wrong sized exhaust pipe. today i was at the local big box and did notice some hvac that may work for a similar design.

won't be expensive.

my main goal is to keep it as high and out of the way as i'd want it to keep my upper shelf useable.

we'lll see.

to be continued...
This is interesting... I used to do air flow calculations for boilers and like to mess around with this stuff...
Puertex

Back