How much Prime Boneless Rib Eye?

TheGrumpyGriller

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Since it's never too early to plan...

I am ordering a full boneless Prime grade rib roast for Christmas from a local butcher. While I plan to season it myself (probably SPG), he offered to tie it up. I have about 15 people and getting a roast that is about 12 lbs. We'll have other things such as the usual sides (mashed, green beans), plus pasta, and likely some wings and chicken soup:)

I've heard everything from 1/2 to 1 lb per person, so any actual experiences would be great to hear!

Semi-related, I was going to go with this initially, but I didn't win the lottery

-Thanks All!

Last edited:
1/2-3/4 if boneless is plenty especially if you have women as part of the 15.

I just cooked a meal for my parents and some friends. There was 14 of them I did 3 four pound chuck roast and a tri tip which was probably around 3-4 pounds. One of the chuck roasts never got cut so they ate around 12 pounds total (that was pre cook weight). All of the meat I cooked was boneless.

I did a rib roast several years ago. One trick I learned was to have a pot of really hot au jus near by. I cooked it to 125 degrees and some of he ladies didn't like it that way so we dunked theirs into the au jus long enough to brown it up. Worked out really well and everyone was happy.

Thanks - we'll have a bunch of other food, so me thinks I am good - have to figure out how to make a great au jus now :)

Back