How long does it take to burn an auger full of pellets?

Guess I am vacuuming the auger soon ! ! !
You wont be able to vacuum the entire auger as it’s long. So I went to settings and hit the empty auger button. Vacuumed it out once it was completely empty. Be sure to prime the auger before next time you use the grill.

You wont be able to vacuum the entire auger as it’s long. So I went to settings and hit the empty auger button. Vacuumed it out once it was completely empty. Be sure to prime the auger before next time you use the grill.

That is what I was planning to do.
I should have been more specific!

Rains almost every day here - so I only have 6 cooks on my Silverton 620.
Plus, I sift the pellets before putting them in the hopper.
Might not have that much dust in there.

But I will still do it just to give me an idea of what to expect in the future.

Yup. There is a setting in the menu called “clear auger” or something like that. It takes forever to purge. Not sure why they don’t just spin that sucker and get it done. Instead it slowly spins and drops a few pellets at a time.

So now I’m curious if the time it takes to do this is close to the same time as the burn rate.

I know what I’m doing on Sunday!
Well? I’ve been curious about this for awhile.

I remove the pallets from hopper and auger, then use a small battery leaf blower to blow the dust out of the auger tube then vacuum.

I emptied the hopper so the only pellets (Pit Boss Cherry) were in the auger tube and set the grill to 225.

It took 52 mins from pushing “ignite” until I got the flame out error.

This will be good to keep in mind because depending on how long you let the grill stabilize once it reaches set temp, you could be cooking with the “old” pellets for about 30 mins or so if you are cooking with a different flavor pellet then the previous cook.

Of course lower or higher temps would vary the results.

This will be good to keep in mind because depending on how long you let the grill stabilize once it reaches set temp, you could be cooking with the “old” pellets for about 30 mins or so if you are cooking with a different flavor pellet then the previous cook.
Maybe this is part of the reason why some people can't taste the difference between different types of pellets.

I emptied the hopper so the only pellets (Pit Boss Cherry) were in the auger tube and set the grill to 225.

Of course lower or higher temps would vary the results.
Thanks for doing this

Murphy, excellent info, thanks. Also, very easy to remember that it takes approximately an hour to go through all the pellets in the auger.

Back