Hot Lid Handle

I also have a Timberline 850 and do not have hot handle issues. I have gotten great response from Traeger when I reach the Utah mother ship, not so much with overseas operators. Sounds like you got some wood skills. The repurposed vintage baseball bat handle sounds quite nice. I would go with that one, even if I didn't have hot handle issues. I have a custom walnut handle on my Egg and love it.
IMG_1846.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought the new Timberline 1300. This is undoubtedly the very best grill I've ever owned and works flawlessly. The only problem I'm having is the lid handle gets extremely hot to touch. Is this normal? Do they make covers for the handle or am I just stuck with using a clumsy oven mit or glove to open the lid when in use?
Just curious here and thanks

RB
Check the mica washers on the handle. They have to be mounted between the handle and the cover plate. Also, one may be damaged and handle makes metal to metal contact where attached

Hey Kevin, nice handle on the egg fer sure 👍and you are eggzackly correct and a super idea.

<Thread Solved> custom Walnut/Ash handle #nohotnomo 👌

Bought the new Timberline 1300. This is undoubtedly the very best grill I've ever owned and works flawlessly. The only problem I'm having is the lid handle gets extremely hot to touch. Is this normal? Do they make covers for the handle or am I just stuck with using a clumsy oven mit or glove to open the lid when in use?

RB
Gilbert Fireplace and BBQ's sells a foam insulated handle - not too expensive and worth every penny.

RB
I have never had a problem with mine except when it is 100 degrees outside

I have 1300 handle has never been hot. Actually never even noticed that Its felt slightly warm before.

RB
While I have a Silverton 810, I did notice improvement putting a gasket (lavalock self adhesive) on the lid for my lid handle. Haven't needed a glove and have run the Traeger at 500 degrees a few times now with lid closed and no issue. I don't know if my experience will mean anything for a Timberline 1300 but maybe....

Sorry bout that I should've have closed with an answer to my own question LOL I did make the new handle but in the process of replacing it I found the problem...about 4" of the insulation gasket around the lid had come loose right about the middle of the handle area and wasnt seating right. Easy-pieezy fix done deal. Still might use my ole Louisville anyways. If'n I do Ill post er up!

Sorry bout that I should've have closed with an answer to my own question LOL I did make the new handle but in the process of replacing it I found the problem...about 4" of the insulation gasket around the lid had come loose right about the middle of the handle area and wasnt seating right. Easy-pieezy fix done deal. Still might use my ole Louisville anyways. If'n I do Ill post er up!
And what did I say in post #2????

Exactly that sir to which is why I checked! Muchos Grassyazz! (Chicano for thanks!) LMAO 🤣

My Timberline 850 is never hot. No more than ambient temps.
I got a pretty good burn on my Timberline 850 Handle on Memorial Day. I was at 500 degrees, in the shade. It was untouchable. I also get some smoke under the front lid seal. I do have the heat washers installed.

Latest Discussions

Back