Grill Temperature

I guess I’ll try different pellets next time. I’m doing a brisket now. Started overnight. The temp from left to right hasn’t been within 30 degrees at any time

View attachment 10435
I too started a brisket last night. Set the temp at 200˚ and it held there for 16 hours. I started out with B&B Pellets and dropped in a bag of Costco pellets and it never made any difference. Now, let me expand on this. As you can see in my original post from October 16th I was having lots of problems with temperature swings. And I have used this grill without doing anything to it several times since that post with absolutely no temperature swings. So these people who are posting saying temperature swings are normal are wackos. The only thing that I can think of that changed my situation is there was fire or something going in the grill because I had smoke coming back through the pellet hopper. I took it apart and vacuumed just like I always do, including the firepot and it's been perfect ever since. Good luck

You folks missed the whole point here. I think for those talking about ovens you need better ovens. As for me after I opened the lid the rest of the cook ran at 250˚ exactly like I wanted and throughout the whole time it NEVER varied 15-20˚ F.
One would think if you pay so much for a top tier grill, then it would have a matching controller. I was gifted a new 780 Pro a couple months ago. I would be pissed if I paid for it. I’ve had my xl green egg over thirty years and it is still as dependable as the day I bought it. I’ve changed one thermostat and I regularly calibrate it. It’s dead on. My friends and family thought I was a fool for paying $1000.00 for a grill! It’s out lasted 8 gas grills in that time. I’m still trying to see what I can accomplish on my 780, I don’t give up easy but thank goodness I have my fireboard thermometer,

I’m still trying to see what I can accomplish on my 780, I don’t give up easy but thank goodness I have my fireboard thermometer,
Others may have different opinions, but I have come to the conclusion what Traeger offers is a good overall product, that is marred by the poor temperature probe. I believe they elected to do this to keep the costs low.

They could have used a high quality probe like FireBoard, but that would have made your Pro 780 even more expensive. I know this because Yoder and Lone Star Grillz do integrate FireBoard into their grills and they cost way more than a basic Traeger + FireBoard combo. Now that you have purchased FireBoard you should get excellent results with your grill.

Latest Discussions

Back