Grill Temperature

captgadget

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
This morning I fired up the Traeger Timberline 850. I set the temp to 250˚. After about 30 minutes the temp stabilized. So I opened the lid and laid the ribs on the grate. Closed the lid and for the next hour and a half, it never went above 230˚. It was time to spritz the ribs so I opened the lid, spritzed 'em, & closed the lid. Now it's running at 250˚. I call Traeger and he tells me everything is operating properly. How can that be if it never gets off 230˚ when it's set to 250˚? Is that the best accuracy we can expect off a $2000 grill?

Last edited:
I’m having a hard time understanding what your trying to do. Your set at 250 and it’s running at 330 but you want it at 350?

Maybe I’m just misreading and you’re basically saying it’s holding at 20 degrees from set temp? That’s seems pretty good to me

Please go back and check your original post.

What was the temperature setpoint 250F or 350F?

What was the grill temperature and how was that measured?

With my IW885 controller set to 350 F, I would typically get a grill temperature of 325F as measured by a 3rd party digital thermometer just above the top grate level. When the controller is set to 225F, I get 220F. If I boost the controller to 450F, I get a grill temp of 400F, a difference of 50F You just have to learn how your specific grill functions and set the controller accordingly.

I’m having a hard time understanding what your trying to do. Your set at 250 and it’s running at 330 but you want it at 350?

Maybe I’m just misreading and you’re basically saying it’s holding at 20 degrees from set temp? That’s seems pretty good to me
Sorry, I typed in the wrong temps, but your keen mind interpreted for me.

I have an average costing oven at home and the +- variance in temp is around 15-20c. I could go and buy a big brand oven and the variance could be as low as 2c. Unfortunately it is something we have to live with. I overcame my concerns by buying a Fireboard for my Traeger, now I never look at the traeger temp.

I have an average costing oven at home and the +- variance in temp is around 15-20c. I could go and buy a big brand oven and the variance could be as low as 2c. Unfortunately it is something we have to live with. I overcame my concerns by buying a Fireboard for my Traeger, now I never look at the traeger temp.

If you were to measure the variability of your kitchen oven from top to bottom, left to right, and side to side, I suspect you would get even more variability in themperature than the 15-20 F you mention. I have seen figures of 15-20 C quoted which is almost double what you indicated.

Most standard ovens have on-off thermostats whether you have a gas or electric oven. The PID controller of the newer Traegers is far more sophisticated.

Yes Ray we do have a big variance from different spots in the oven. My results came from my fireboard pit probe in put in one spot of the oven

You folks missed the whole point here. I think for those talking about ovens you need better ovens. As for me after I opened the lid the rest of the cook ran at 250˚ exactly like I wanted and throughout the whole time it NEVER varied 15-20˚ F.

You folks missed the whole point here. I think for those talking about ovens you need better ovens. As for me after I opened the lid the rest of the cook ran at 250˚ exactly like I wanted and throughout the whole time it NEVER varied 15-20˚ F.

It is my understanding that the Traeger controller is programmed so that there will be slight variation in cook temperature. As the fire ramps up and down, the combustion byproducts will vary producing more smoke flavor. The biggest variation in temperature is always going to occur when you open the lid to inspect the cook and spritz the protein, if applicable.

In a kitchen oven, it is a common practice to cook using time and temperature. However, a good home cook always checks to see if the meal is properly cooked. Sometimes it takes more or less time than the recipe indicates. The same thing applies to cooking on the Traeger. If you always cook to a final internal temperature as measured by an accurate thermometer, it really does not matter whether the controller temperature is a little high or low.

Remember that you live in South Texas where it can get blazing hot. I live in Northern Illinois and I have measured temperatures as high as 150 F in my grill before I even ignited the fire pot. That was with the ambient temperature in the upper 70s. If your grill is in the Texas sun and the ambient temperature is 90F or above, your grill might get close to 200F without any fire needed. That makes it difficult for the Traeger to maintain a temperature of 225F. By opening the lid, you let some heat escape and the controller as able to keep the temperature constant.

If your grill is in the sun, try to move it to the shade or do your cooking after sundown.

While I have other temperature issues with my Traeger (separate post), I do believe some variability at smoking temps is normal. Mine probably spends 80%+ of the time at +\- 10 degrees when I’m at a smoking temp but will deviate to as much as 15 degrees. I expect more movement on this vs an oven given it is burning wood that, while regulated by auger and fan, is probably less responsive in terms of speed than an electric heating element in an oven.

If you’re showing a much lower temp vs controller and simply can’t raise it, I’m right there with you. Mine refuses to hold higher temps. I’ve talked to Traeger, emphasized my cleaning and pellet storage habits, etc. I will know tomorrow if/where I can bring it for service.

While I have other temperature issues with my Traeger (separate post), I do believe some variability at smoking temps is normal. Mine probably spends 80%+ of the time at +\- 10 degrees when I’m at a smoking temp but will deviate to as much as 15 degrees. I expect more movement on this vs an oven given it is burning wood that, while regulated by auger and fan, is probably less responsive in terms of speed than an electric heating element in an oven.

If you’re showing a much lower temp vs controller and simply can’t raise it, I’m right there with you. Mine refuses to hold higher temps. I’ve talked to Traeger, emphasized my cleaning and pellet storage habits, etc. I will know tomorrow if/where I can bring it for service.
Which pellets are you using?

Traeger says their controllers are "tuned" for the use of Traeger pellets. However, I find that Traeger pellets are somewhat less dense than some other pellets. Because they are not as hard, they tend to crumble easily and generate dust. Thus, I am not a fan.

If you are having difficulty getting higher temperatures, try using a different brand of pellet. I have been using Bear Mountain pellets and Kingsford pellets (the brand recommended by RecTec) and like them both. I just picked up several bags of Lumber Jack pellets at my local Farm and Fleet store. I am hoping they are as good as the Bear Mountain. I have also used Pit Boss and prefer them to Traeger.

Which pellets are you using?

Traeger says their controllers are "tuned" for the use of Traeger pellets. However, I find that Traeger pellets are somewhat less dense than some other pellets. Because they are not as hard, they tend to crumble easily and generate dust. Thus, I am not a fan.

If you are having difficulty getting higher temperatures, try using a different brand of pellet. I have been using Bear Mountain pellets and Kingsford pellets (the brand recommended by RecTec) and like them both. I just picked up several bags of Lumber Jack pellets at my local Farm and Fleet store. I am hoping they are as good as the Bear Mountain. I have also used Pit Boss and prefer them to Traeger.
I actually threw these in today and it ran absolutely perfectly. I used the Oak from Bear Mountain and when I opened at high to throw meat on it dipped ~20 Degrees and immediately recovered to temp. Changing pellets may be solution to my issues…appreciate insight @RayClem

I guess I’ll try different pellets next time. I’m doing a brisket now. Started overnight. The temp from left to right hasn’t been within 30 degrees at any time

30717FCD-9B4B-4CE9-AFB8-458570E63C07.jpeg

Attachments

• 62E9C5D3-521B-46E1-82AC-8B456291AAF1.jpeg
    62E9C5D3-521B-46E1-82AC-8B456291AAF1.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 34D338CB-B1D0-4981-BEF2-A61554FFD03C.jpeg
    34D338CB-B1D0-4981-BEF2-A61554FFD03C.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 25

Latest Discussions

Back