Going away for three weeks - what to do with my grill?

As a native, I can say with confidence that Florida can ruin pretty much anything in much less than 3 weeks. Careers, marriages, elections, you name it.

That said, if you love something...anything...do not leave it outside in Florida for 3 weeks. If weather conditions (sun, heat, humidity, a rogue hurricane that was predicted to land anywhere except where you live) don't destroy it, it'll be stolen and traded for lotto tickets and 4 Loko, or demolished in a random 3-jet ski pileup (despite living miles from any body of water.)

That said, if you must leave it out, unplug, clear of all pellets, clean (to avoid attracting critters) and cover.
You sir, may have a bright future in training doomsday preppers!
Apply today at: doublu doublu doublu DOT smokingdoomsdaypreppertrainers DOT lotto

We're going out of town for three weeks. Any special instructions for leaving a Pro780 idle that long? (Can't bring it with us unfortunately). In Florida, so expect quite a bit of summertime rain, sun and heat. Presume I should empty the hopper, clear the augur and vacuum out the firebox (pellets stored inside in the pantry). It is under a grill cover. Should I unplug it? Wheel it in to the garage in case of high winds (I have the wheels chocked)? Any other suggestions?

We were gone for 2 months. Emptied the hopper, cleaned the smoker as usual and stored in the shed in SC.
When we got home I took it out of the shed, filled the hopper and it is ready to go.

The key is to clean it good to prevent mold from forming in humid climates

Back