Flatrock on home propane

Dmk

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Hello…can the Flatrock be configured to run from my home propane line? TIA

Although I don’t have a Flatrock I have a Blackstone and a Weber Genesis that are both LP. I have them both connected to a main line running from my Lp Tank to my fireplace. Luckily my HVAC guys ran a service line to my outdoor kitchen. I removed the line with the regulator from my units, I got a couple flexible LP lines from Lowe’s that screwed into each of my units and screwed the other ends into my gas line feed. I had to add a T and use a couple reduce fittings because my main line is 3/4 steel pipe. Just make sure your LP tank has a regulator on it and test for leaks. Also I added a cutoff valve (one for gas, yellow handle) on each between the flexible lines and the unit. It works great and I have two huge tanks so no more refilling or swapping tanks. BUT….. you have to make sure you don’t accidentally leave the grill/ griddle on! I like to leave my grill on after grilling burgers and stuff to burn off. Yeah I forgot a couple times but luckily not all night long. Same with my griddle too, got in a hurry but caught it two hours later. It reinforced my seasoning. lol.
I’m in the habit of cutting off everything including the gas valves at the units.

Although I don’t have a Flatrock I have a Blackstone and a Weber Genesis that are both LP. I have them both connected to a main line running from my Lp Tank to my fireplace. Luckily my HVAC guys ran a service line to my outdoor kitchen. I removed the line with the regulator from my units, I got a couple flexible LP lines from Lowe’s that screwed into each of my units and screwed the other ends into my gas line feed. I had to add a T and use a couple reduce fittings because my main line is 3/4 steel pipe. Just make sure your LP tank has a regulator on it and test for leaks. Also I added a cutoff valve (one for gas, yellow handle) on each between the flexible lines and the unit. It works great and I have two huge tanks so no more refilling or swapping tanks. BUT….. you have to make sure you don’t accidentally leave the grill/ griddle on! I like to leave my grill on after grilling burgers and stuff to burn off. Yeah I forgot a couple times but luckily not all night long. Same with my griddle too, got in a hurry but caught it two hours later. It reinforced my seasoning. lol.
I’m in the habit of cutting off everything including the gas valves at the units.
Thanks much, very helpful!

Propane is propane whether it comes in 1 lb bottles, 20-80# canisters or huge tanks. As long as you have the proper pressure regulator, you will be fine.

If you try to run the griddle off of butane, you will find that the grill will overheat as butane has significantly more heat content than propane. To use butane, you would have to use smaller gas orifices.

You could also run your griddle off of natural gas. Since that is methane based, the heat content is less than propane. Thus, you would have difficulty maintaining the griddle temperature unless you used larger gas orifices.

As long as your gas supply is propane, your griddle should work without changing the orifice size.

The reason various gases have different heat content is due to the ratio of carbon to hydrogen in the gas molecule. When burned in air, carbon becomes carbon dioxide. Burning hydrogen forms water. When water evaporates, it absorbs a lot of heat which is no longer available for use. Natural gas (methane) has 1 carbon and 4 hydrogen atoms (ratio of 0.25), making it less efficient than propane which has 3 carbon atoms and 8 hydrogen with a ratio of 0.375. Butane is even more efficient with 4 carbon and 10 hydrogen atoms with a ratio of 0.40. Many internal combustion vehicles are fueled by gasoline which is iso-octane C8H18 with a ratio of 0.444. While some vehicles are fueled by natural gas or propane, iso-octane has the edge in heat content. In contrast, there are also Coleman camp stoves that are fueled by unleaded gasoline, preferably with no additives. However, such stoves are being phased out in favor of propane or butane which is safer.

Last edited:
Back