Flat rock natural gas conversion

TF_Guest

Reaction score
Is there a natural gas conversion available for the Traeger griddle?

I haven’t seen a conversion kit for a brand name grill in over a decade. Not saying they aren’t out there somewhere or you couldn’t do it if you had the knowledge, but the attorneys for these companies have essentially eliminated that as an option. I think someone along the way screwed the pooch on a conversion and that was the end of that. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Good luck with the search though.

Just some advice from an old person. Pick a licensed plumber for all natural gas plumbing. I would think that a good plumber can find a pressure regulator that is jetted properly for the difference between propane and natural gas. Just something to think about. Want's it is plumbed it will be permanent, but you have probably already picked a location where you want it. Just some stuff to consider, safety on an exposed gas line is first priority. Good luck on your conversion.

Just some advice from an old person. Pick a licensed plumber for all natural gas plumbing. I would think that a good plumber can find a pressure regulator that is jetted properly for the difference between propane and natural gas. Just something to think about. Want's it is plumbed it will be permanent, but you have probably already picked a location where you want it. Just some stuff to consider, safety on an exposed gas line is first priority. Good luck on your conversion.
Same for a HVAC contractor.

I remember someone mentioning this in a thread not too long ago, it was directed to the Traeger but others. The Traeger’s probably too new on the market however I would check with Traeger’s Customer Service to see. It would be less expensive if you find one rather than a contractor.

Natural gas will take a larger jet than propane and a pressure reg is also needed. I did this to an old smoker of mine. Google btu size gas or propane and there are charts. You can drill it out or I went to a BBQ shop and found the right jet.

Also remember that in most communities, if you run a natural gas line to your grill, you will need to get a building permit before starting the work and the building inspector will check the piping for any leaks before approving the job. If you fail to get the necessary permits and a fire starts, your insurance company is likely to reject your claim. Do not take that risk.

Definitely hire a plumber if you don't know what you are doing but I've had a NG line from my house to my grill for 35 years and never a leak or fire. Propane on the other hand is very explosive if it leaks because it does not dissipate but hangs close to the ground making a bomb of an explosion. Happened to a neighbor down the street and put him in the burn ward.

Back