First Time Use and Excessive Ash

Traeger pellets are not good quality. Try a better quality pellet and see how they perform versus the Traeger pellets. Try using Cookin’ pellets, Knotty Wood pellets, or LumberJack pellets. I have been testing out different pellets and found the Knotty Wood to burn very clean with little ash. Downside is they only have 2 different types: Almond wood and Plum wood. Cookin’ pellets and LumberJack have several different types. If you check out Mad Scientist BBQ on YouTube he has a video about pellets you might be interested in.

Not sure this link will work.
Mr. Yoder did a test and to his chagrin, Traeger Won.

I’ve done my own tests and I get better results out or Bear Mountain compared to Traeger. I think a lot may have to do with where you get them and how they’ve been transported. My signature traeger pellets have significantly more ash, especially when sifting before use. That said, the thanksgiving turkey ones weren’t as bad.

Obviously something made with artificial ingredients can always "TASTE" better than natural, how else is 'Hostess' still the #1 go to snack!!!!

Mr. Yoder did a test and to his chagrin, Traeger Won.
The point is to try different things: Pellets, rubs, methods, etc. Find out what works best for you in terms of price, taste, and quality. That’s what these forums are for: To receive lots of different ideas and advice and find out what is best for you and the family. Good luck and happy smoking.

The point is to try different things: Pellets, rubs, methods, etc. Find out what works best for you in terms of price, taste, and quality. That’s what these forums are for: To receive lots of different ideas and advice and find out what is best for you and the family. Good luck and happy smoking.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yep, exactly what they said up there.

Back