FireBoard 2 ambient probe rtd vs thermistor or does it even matter?

miguelb

Media
Reaction score
Grill
ironwood 885
I finally got my FireBoard 2 Drive, one of the first things that I noticed after connecting the probes was that one of the ambient probe was way off. At first I though it was faulty until I read the packet that mentioned 'RTD Probe Type', and gave instructions on setting the channel. This got my curiosity on what is the difference. I did read the website but it wasn't clear for me.

https://www.fireboard.com/probes/

Any suggestions or does it even matter? I currently have one of each. I might order more but want to see if I should stick to one type over the other.

I'd use them both

THERMISTOR​

• Faster response time (~5 seconds)
  • Excellent choice for BBQ and the Kitchen

RTD​

• Can measure temperature across a wider range (-58 to 715F)
  • Suitable for extreme temperature environments

In your APP is where you dedicate one of your ports to use that RTD probe in, and this is where you plug it in always:

settings, click the > next to your device name, Mange Device, advanced settings, Probe Config, pick a channel and ">" choose Probe type, RTD

Your other probe can go in any channel because I think by default they are all set to thermistor

To NAME/Label your channels, dashboard, switch from "detail" to "chart" ... all your channels show there and tap each one to custom name them... example, Channel 1 can be your RTD probe "pit temp", channel 2 can be your regular pit temp, ect.

TIP, channel 1 is the farthest from the battery plugin

I finally got my FireBoard 2 Drive, one of the first things that I noticed after connecting the probes was that one of the ambient probe was way off. At first I though it was faulty until I read the packet that mentioned 'RTD Probe Type', and gave instructions on setting the channel. This got my curiosity on what is the difference. I did read the website but it wasn't clear for me.

https://www.fireboard.com/probes/

Any suggestions or does it even matter? I currently have one of each. I might order more but want to see if I should stick to one type over the other.
I don’t care for the RTD probes, because you have to dedicate one port for that probe only, and can’t use any of your other probes in that port. Also, I usually don’t run my grill over 400, so I don’t need the higher temp capability.

I don’t care for the RTD probes, because you have to dedicate one port for that probe only, and can’t use any of your other probes in that port. Also, I usually don’t run my grill over 400, so I don’t need the higher temp capability.
i don't have mine anymore for that same reason...

Back